XP SP3 to Vista Business update failure 80004005 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to update an existing XP SP3 system to Vista Business but the Install stops with the error 80004005, complaining that I need at least 392Mb of free space, and without actually doing anything. Having cleared/compressed 19Gb of space in an orgy of cleansing, I'm puzzled as to what the thing is complaining about; can anyone suggest places to  look?

thanks in advance,

Chris M
    • Edited by Chris RM Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:51 PM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:20 PM

Answers

• Hello Chris,

Before going any further, please make sure that 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space is available on the same partition of Windows XP and then you should download and run Microsoft's Vista Upgrade Advisor, which will scan your system and tell you about any hardware/driver incompatibilities.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 13, 2009 7:42 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:14 AM

All replies

• Hello Chris,

Before going any further, please make sure that 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space is available on the same partition of Windows XP and then you should download and run Microsoft's Vista Upgrade Advisor, which will scan your system and tell you about any hardware/driver incompatibilities.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 13, 2009 7:42 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for those words; that's why I put "19Gb of space" in the description of the problem. As well as having gone through the space clearing orgy, the Upgrade Advisor (which only pointed out that my poor old phone will have to try something other than Activesync) found nothing else to complain about. It certainly doesn't complain about the free space...  Any thoughts about 80004005?

Chris M
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:36 AM
  • Here's the Upgrade Advisor:

Device details:
    Cannot find information on these devices
    The following table contains devices for which we have no information.
    Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

EPSON Stylus Photo R340 Series EPSON There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace , or contact your retailer.
    No issues were detected for these devices
    The following table contains devices that will automatically work after installation of Windows Vista.
    Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series ATI Technologies Inc. If you disable automatic updating during Windows Vista installation, go to the Windows Update website after installation to get the latest driver for this device.

Philips 170B (17inch LCD MONITOR 170B4) Philips Electronics No action required

HID-compliant Wheel Mouse Logitech No action required

NVIDIA MCP61 Serial ATA Controller NVIDIA Corporation No action required

NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller NEC No action required

ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01 ATI No action required

Realtek High Definition Audio Realtek No action required

Realtek High Definition Audio Realtek No action required

NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator NVIDIA No action required
    System details:
    No issues were detected for these system components
    The following table contains system components that meet the minimum hardware requirements needed for Windows Vista.
    Category Action Required Explanation
    CPU No action required Your computer's CPU is AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
    System memory (RAM) No action required Your computer has 2.00 GB of RAM.
    DVD drive No action required Your computer can read DVDs.
    Video card No action required Your current video card will support the Windows Aero™ user experience.

Selected Edition Current System Configuration
    Manufacturer:
    MSI
    Model:
    MS-7309
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
    Memory:
    2.00 GB
    Hard Disk Drives:
    "C" - 17.96 GB Free (45.79 GB Total)
    "D" - 15.34 GB Free (28.73 GB Total)
    "E" - 17.76 GB Free (45.79 GB Total)
    "F" - 15.43 GB Free (28.73 GB Total)

There's a couple of older programs I need to do something about (if I should choose to continue to use them...), but otherwise this is all the Advisor is saying.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to what 80004005 means to me?

thanks,

Chris M
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Hello Chris,

You would get the 0x80004005 error if you have more than one partition, usually complaining that you have insufficient room though it only requires 392MB and you have some 13~15GB of space left on C: drive. Base on my experience, many laptop owners with the recovery partition is first up on the hard drive; therefore could you please let me know whether the system is preinstalled on the computer or did you setup a hidden recovery partition in the earlier time? According to the current situation, I suggest you back up the necessary data, format the HDD and do a clean-installation of Windows Vista. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Good Luck!

Andy

Friday, June 26, 2009 10:44 AM
  • Hi Andy,

I do indeed have more than one partition/drive but it's simply the old C and D partitions brought forward as I've upgraded the system since Windows/286. There's no hidden or recovery partition on this thing. I suspect that I can't do a clean-install of Vista as the licenses are for an update from XP to Vista; that's been my experience with this particular set of licenses so far. I did try to use them for a re-install of Vista on my partner's new (and seriously buggy Sony) laptop, and instead the DVD simply re-built Home Premium on it rather than install Business.

So, I think I'm stuck with trying to do an update and I'm open to suggestions,

Chris M
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Hello Chris,

It is allowed to do a clean-installation via the Windows Vista upgrade disk, please take it easy. After installing the Vista with the upgrade license key, you might make a phone call Microsoft Activation Center who would offer you the right code for product activation. (You need to provide them the valid product key of your Windows XP OS)

Have a nice day!

Andy

Monday, June 29, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Well, I've now succeeded in installing Vista Business as a clean install (the Upgrade option was greyed out!), and need one more item of info from you. The Activation site insists that my license key is not valid for the clean install and should have been used for an Upgrade, which is where this all started :) ...

Can you give me the phone number for the UK activation people that I need to talk to so that this can be sorted out?

Thanks,

Chris M
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Hello Chris,

You can call the phone number 08706010100 and refer to the following article.

Activate you licenses

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/lessthan250/deploy-and-manage/activate-your-licenses.mspx

Have a nice day!

Andy

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:03 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for this but I've failed miserably over 6 calls in finding a human being to talk with on this subject; the Product Activation Center will only accept vanilla product activations over the phone into their automated response system, and there seems to be no way of breaking out of it.  Have you a number where I can talk with a person about this?

Thanks,

Chris M
    Monday, July 13, 2009 9:14 AM
  • OK, we've had enough of this. I've recommended to the IS manager that I discontinue trying with Vista; the licenses we've got will simply be lost as an expense and we'll live with XP. New boxes will be XP, OS/X or Linux, and I'll take a look at 7 when it's gone past its first service pack.

Thanks to Andy Song for his help, and if anyone can introduce the idea to MS management that Catch-22 is NOT the right paradigm to do business with, then I feel we'll all be better off. Back to the XP fora,

All the best,

Chris M

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:49 PM