none
DPM could not backup some files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a DPM 2010 server which protects a file server, every now and then I get an error stating DPM could not backup some files:

Affected area: E:\
    Occurred since: 1/16/2013 2:23:17 PM
    Description: DPM could not backup some of the required files for this data source. This could be because of intermittent failures or if the file type is unsupported.

No. of files that failed to synchronize: 9
    Next synchronization will try to backup these files again. (ID 32526)
     More information
    Recommended action: 
     For a list of files that could not be backed up, review the log:
     View failed files log
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
     Inactivate alert

All the files mentioned in the failed file log are .pst files. I could not see .pst as a non-supported extension on technet, is this a DPM 2010 limitation?

Regards

Pavit

Pavit Bhutani

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What was the 0x######## hex code in the failed files log associated with failed .pst files ?  Since it's an intermittent problem, I'm suspecting it's an access denied error associated with anti-virus having an exclusive handle open at the time of protection.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:11 PM
  • Hi Mike

The hex code is 0x80990aa5.

Regards

Pavit

Pavit Bhutani

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

That is a weird error, that error seems to be associated with tape backup.  DSM is Data Source Mover, and MTF is Microsoft Tape Format, and we should not be getting such as error when doing disk based synchronizations.

ErrorCode: 0x80990AA5 (-2137453915): DSMMTF_E_CORRUPT_DATA:  Corruption detected by MTF writer.

But, I guess the bottom line is we're detecting some kind of corruption, but don't know why it only seems to effect .pst files.

I did see one condition where an error 0x80070017 (Data error (cyclic redundancy check)) would end up being reported as 0x80990AA5 - can you check the DPM error logs on both the protected server and the dpm server for that error code.

FIND.EXE /I "0x80070017" *.errlog

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:54 PM