none
key pressed constantly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there !

Yesterday I installed Windows 7 Professional I got from the student's offer of 39.99. As I was already using the Beta and couldn't do an update, I went through a clean install.

Then I installed Synaptics' driver for my touchpad and I like having one of the corner configured as a tap zone which content my email address. So I went to the Synaptics manager and started to record the keystroke, but I'm having equal signs recorded even though I'm not pressing it at all ! And what is really weird is that the sign doesn't show up in any input (address bar, Word...). Furthermore, hovering icons in the taskbar does show the preview, but it goes away a second or two after, I guess caused by the = sign pressed in background.

I had the same issue on the Beta and taught it was a bug that would be corrected for the final release which obviously wasn't. Of the 5 times I installed it, 3 times I got that issue, the two other times everything was fine...

Any idea on what is the cause ? By the way, my computer is a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a Sempron CPU.

Thanks
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:16 PM

Answers

• Laptops are a bit different than your average desktop, things stick around after powerdown that you might not normally consider.  In this case, I expect there is some calibration info for the touchpad that wasn't cleared prior to the install of the new Win7 drivers.

I suggest a full system shutdown, removing the wall-wart (power supply) cord from the machine, then removing the laptop battery for a few minutes.  Might even try hitting the power button a few times while in this state, then replace the battery, power cord, and boot the system.

DAS

• Marked as answer by DavidBrisebois Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:45 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:31 PM

All replies

• Make sure you've updated the bios and install the synaptics touchpad driver for Vista in vista compatibility mode. Dell drivers for Vista and HOW TO: Install a Hardware Device Driver using Compatibility Mode  Let us know how it goes 
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:25 AM
  • Hello,

To eliminate any possible causes, I recommend you download Keyboard test to determine whether the '=' sign is pressed in background.

http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm

I think the Synaptics' driver you installed is not compatible with windows 7. Uninstall the Synaptics' driver and to see if the issue persists. If the problem does not happan, try a another Synaptics' driver.

Thomas77
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:26 AM
  • Laptops are a bit different than your average desktop, things stick around after powerdown that you might not normally consider.  In this case, I expect there is some calibration info for the touchpad that wasn't cleared prior to the install of the new Win7 drivers.

I suggest a full system shutdown, removing the wall-wart (power supply) cord from the machine, then removing the laptop battery for a few minutes.  Might even try hitting the power button a few times while in this state, then replace the battery, power cord, and boot the system.

DAS

• Marked as answer by DavidBrisebois Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:45 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Thanks for your replies.

Yesterday I continued my search through the web and I finally found the solution. The problem was not the BIOS (already to the last version available), neither Synaptics not under compatibility mode (latest version works with Windows 7 out of the box).

It turns out that it is what Win7tester says. It a particular problem that many Dell Inspiron owners have. Whenever the AC cord get partially disconnected, a key which code is E00D is sent every second and Windows maps this as an equal sign.

To correct this I had to do the exact manipulation as Win7Tester explains and that corrected both problems.

Anyway thanks to everybody for trying to help.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:44 PM