none
Outgoing email issue 452 4.3.1 Insufficient System Resources (at FROM). Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• HelloEveryone,

My current setup is Exchange 2010 on Windows 2008 R2.

I am experiencing a very strange problem with Exchange 2010. On my Queue viewer, I can see outgoing emails to a specific outside email domain that are stuck in the queue with the following error message:

"452 4.3.1 Insufficient System Resources (at FROM)"

I know the above error is usually related to the Back Pressure feature in Exchange. So the first thing I did was check the hard drive space where the queue logs reside, there is plenty of free space, about 60 GB out of a 100 GB hard drive.  The RAM usage is normal, about 5 GB out of 10 GB RAM. As you can see, storage and memory are not an issue. The queue logs are stored on the default location, the Exchange install folder on the C drive. 

My next step was to check the Event Viewer on my Exchange server for any errors or warning, no error messages were logged with the usual Event IDs related to Back Pressure feature, i.e. 15004, 15005, 15006, 15007. 

This has me stumped. I don't know what the problem could be. I should mention, incoming and outgoing emails are working fine. It's just outgoing emails to this specific domain that are getting stuck with this error. Just until yesterday emails to this specific domain were going out without a problem. Nothing has changed on my Exchange Server to cause this issue. 

Any help you anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 6:13 PM

Answers

• I found out what was going. The issue was on the remote domain's Exchange server. They were running out of space on their server's hard drive. I kind of figured it out when I tried to telnet their email server on port 25 and couldn't connect, that's when I gave them a call to make sure everything was alright on their end. 

I didn't know that error message could be generated by the remote domain's Exchange server. I always thought that error could only generated on the local server. Good to know.

Thanks very much for your help! I appreciated. 

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I also faced the same issue for one of the customer in past. That time, the issue was related to the antispam agent (Transport agent) installed on the Exchange server. I don't remember the exact name of the software. But it actually installed some antispam agents to the Exchange system and after removing those agents, everything get worked.

Get-AntispamAgent, Uninstall-TransportAgent  can help you to dig further

Regards From: Exchange Online | Windows Administrator's Area

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 6:23 PM
  • Thanks for your reply!

I don't have the Antispam agents installed on my Hub transport server. I never ran the install-AntispamAngets.ps1 script. 

Any other ideas?

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 6:37 PM
  • I assume, you already tested Get-TransportAgenttoo.

Then the next option would be checking the transport logs (enable logging if it is not yet enabled). See, if you can see somethingrelated events at eventviewertoo

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:03 PM
  • I did test Get-TransportAgent and all three agents: Transport rule agent, Text messaging Routing Agent, and Text messaging delivery Agent are enabled. 

I checked event viewer and there's nothing related to this. 

How do I enable transport logs?

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:17 PM
  • The MS link will help you: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa998617%28v=EXCHG.141%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Basically, you need to enable Logging on connectors and analyze the logs by sending some test emails

Do you have any antivirus/Antispam software running on the server? Can you uninstall / disable it and do a test?

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:39 PM
  • I found out what was going. The issue was on the remote domain's Exchange server. They were running out of space on their server's hard drive. I kind of figured it out when I tried to telnet their email server on port 25 and couldn't connect, that's when I gave them a call to make sure everything was alright on their end. 

I didn't know that error message could be generated by the remote domain's Exchange server. I always thought that error could only generated on the local server. Good to know.

Thanks very much for your help! I appreciated. 

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:19 PM