none
SharePoint Backup looks for old database path after moving SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• I recently decommissioned my old SQL server and moved all the databases to a new server. I re-pointed SharePoint to the new database server and everything is functioning fine. However, when I run a backup in DPM, it attempts to backup the database files from both the old server instance and the new server instance. Obviously the files no longer exist in the old location so the backup fails. I've tried completely removing the protection group and creating a new one but am having the same results. Any idea how I can get DPM to stop referencing that old server instance?
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:24 PM

All replies

• have you run the ConfigureSharePoint.exe after moving the Databases on your SharePoint Web Frontend Server?

Michael Seidl (MVP)

SYSCTR Senior Consultant, Blogger, CEO

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Xing | Youtube

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, March 16, 2018 7:21 AM
  • Yes, I have and that did not correct the problem.
    Friday, March 16, 2018 12:57 PM
  • Please try to stop the protection, and re add the SharePoint Farm, before please klick refresh to make sure Datasource is up to date.

Michael Seidl (MVP)

SYSCTR Senior Consultant, Blogger, CEO

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Xing | Youtube

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, March 19, 2018 7:28 AM
  • Stopping the protection and re-adding the farm did the trick. I needed to click the refresh button on the add protection screen to see the most current items available to protect. After this, the backups were still failing but the right server was being targeted to be backed up. The solution to the failing backups after that was that I did not have the account being used to run the backups setup with the sysadmin server role on the new SQL server. Once I added this in, the backup ran successfully.

I have one additional concern. After the backup runs, the only databases I see being backed up are WSS_Content, SharePoint_Config, and SharePoint_AdminContent. However, there are 12 databases assoiated with SharePoint. Why are the others not being backed up by DPM and how do I correct this?

Monday, March 19, 2018 1:32 PM