Access public folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everybody,

I have one application that iterates through the public folders in exchange. It was running fine with the old version of exchange server with the url http://localhost/public but with the exchange 2010, this option no longer works. Would you please tell me a direct url to access the exchange public folders?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:43 PM

Answers

• “The /public virtual directory will not connect to another Exchange 2007 Mailbox server because the Mailbox server does not support access to a /public virtual directory”

----------Refer to < Understanding Public Folders>

Based my research, in exchange server 2007 and the later version, the direct URL access method isn’t supported anymore due to the architecture change. Hence, you will get the above error when trying to access the Public Folder via OWA.

Thanks.

Novak Wu-MSFT
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It has changed in Exchange 2010. Try https://<server na me>/owa/?cmd=contents&module=publicfolders&f=calendar

Cheers

Neil

• Proposed as answer by Virtualmanc Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:10 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:02 PM
  • This URL gives me a screen written "Public Folders" at the title but on the left pane it says "There are no items to show in this view" however when I go to the inbox, I can see lots of public folders.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:14 PM
  • Have you made a replica of your public folders on your exchange 2010 system? If not you need to replicate it from the 2003 PF folder to your 2010 system.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:59 PM
  • To replicate the Public Folders from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010, please refer to the following article:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/exchange/upgrade-exchange-2003-to-exchange-2010/

Thanks.

Novak Wu-MSFT
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:36 AM
  • The public folders are replicated to exchange 2010 but I can't see the public folders with the direct URL you just sent.

Thanks.

Friday, September 24, 2010 10:52 AM
  • “The /public virtual directory will not connect to another Exchange 2007 Mailbox server because the Mailbox server does not support access to a /public virtual directory”

----------Refer to < Understanding Public Folders>

Based my research, in exchange server 2007 and the later version, the direct URL access method isn’t supported anymore due to the architecture change. Hence, you will get the above error when trying to access the Public Folder via OWA.

Thanks.

Novak Wu-MSFT
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:21 AM
  • For Others that might have this problem the solution is as Novak Wu suggested but it isn't exactly the same for 2010.

Go here for the 2010 syntax and examples

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232199.aspx

One of the things that was giving me trouble was how to list subfolders after displaying the public folder root level it would just show me the  screen written "Public Folders" at the title but on the left pane it says "There are no items to show in this view".

My syntax was

the <> symbols here indicate where you would input your data

_Https://<servername>/owa/?cmd=contents&module=publicfolders&fpath=<folder>%2f<folder%20With%20Space&view=<whateverviewyouwant>

View operator changes depending on what type of items the folder contains.

Calendar views:

• Daily The daily calendar view
    • Weekly The weekly calendar view
    • Monthly The monthly calendar view

Message views:

• Messages Message view, with default sort
    • By%20Sender Message view sorted by From with sender names that begin with "a" on top
    • By%20Subject Message view sorted by Subject with subjects that begin with "a" on top
    • By%20Conversation%20Topic Conversation View, not available in the light version of Outlook Web App

Contact Views:

• Phone%20List Contact view, with default sort

Tasks:

• By%20Due%20Date Tasks view with default sort
    • By%20Subject Tasks view sorted by subject, with a on top

Kevin
    • Proposed as answer by GSO_admin Friday, July 22, 2011 5:17 PM
    Friday, July 22, 2011 5:17 PM