none
FIM 2010 R2 SP1 to MIM 2016 Upgrade (SSPR and FIM Reporting components) RRS feed

• Question

• Currently, we have FIM 2010 R2 v 4.1.3599 installed on Server 2012. SQL Server is SQL 2012 SP1.

The components installed are FIM Sync, FIM Service & Portal, SSPR and FIM Reporting (SCSM 2012 SP1 on Server 2012).

We're planning to upgrade to MIM 2016 in the near future (looks like we will need to 2 upgrades, once to MIM 2016 RTM and then to MIM 2016 SP1), according to this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-identity-manager/deploy-use/microsoft-identity-manager-2016-upgrade-from-fim-2010-r2

However, currently, we have an immediate need to install PCNS and FIM Rich Client.

My first question is, can PCNS and FIM Rich Client be installed now, and how it will affect future upgrade to MIM 2016? Do these components need to be re-installed during each upgrade? The article mentioned that the same Rich Client can be used, as long as MFA phone gates isn't being used. Is that true? There is no instruction regarding if FIM 2010 PCNS needs to be upgraded as well.

My second question is, is there anything that needs to be done to FIM Reporting during FIM to MIM upgrade? There is no instruction regarding this, so is it safe to assume that FIM reporting will just work as is?

Thank you very much!

• Edited by Aswin W Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:08 PM
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

what I can say is that the SSPR Client Extension from FIM will also work with MIM, as long as you dont activate the MFA thing like you already mentioned. I have that setup currently working at a customer.

We are now rolling out the new SSPR Client, which will take some time.

Same is for the PCNS, this also will work with MIM but you should upgrade them when you'r done with the FIM upgrade.

Can not say anything regarding the Reporting part, as I did not test this until now, but I assume behavior is the same. Maybe some of the other guys can report on that.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Aswin W Monday, April 17, 2017 8:58 PM
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

what I can say is that the SSPR Client Extension from FIM will also work with MIM, as long as you dont activate the MFA thing like you already mentioned. I have that setup currently working at a customer.

We are now rolling out the new SSPR Client, which will take some time.

Same is for the PCNS, this also will work with MIM but you should upgrade them when you'r done with the FIM upgrade.

Can not say anything regarding the Reporting part, as I did not test this until now, but I assume behavior is the same. Maybe some of the other guys can report on that.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Aswin W Monday, April 17, 2017 8:58 PM
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 6:17 PM
  • Thank you, Peter for your answer.

I would agree with you, since there's no specific notes for FIM Reporting during an in-place FIM to MIM upgrade.

I will post my findings here if I have found any issue during the upgrade in my lab!

Monday, April 17, 2017 8:58 PM