Autotext/Autocomplete in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem with getting the Autotext/Autocomplete capability to work properly in Word 2010.  I recently upgraded to Word 2010 after I heard they returned this function.  However, while I was able to transfer all of my entries I had created in an earlier version and they do work, they don't seem to work ALL THE TIME.  The best way to explain it is that I open up a document and begin typing, and my autotext entries work.  Soon thereafter, they decide to stop responding and I get no "pop up" in which to hit "enter" and accept the word/phrase.  The only way I have found to temporarily get them working again is to hit "CTRL + S" and save the document.  Why this works I have no clue, but it is time consuming to have to save my document every 3 or 4 sentences.

I have spoken directly with a tech at Microsoft regarding the issue who assured me that all was working well after a quick "shared control" session and looking at/altering a few settings.  That did not work.  While I wait for a reply from them I hoped maybe I could seek out the answer on my own.

All thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Not sure I put this thread in the right place.  Had trouble finding the appropriate place to put it.

• Moved by tonysoper_MSFT Friday, January 7, 2011 5:03 PM wrong forum (From:TechNet Wiki Discussion)
    Friday, January 7, 2011 2:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It might be related to the corrupted registry key. Please try to rename the data key in the Registry

HKCurrent User\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Data

Note: Please back up your registry before deleting or renaming it.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:28 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It might be related to the corrupted registry key. Please try to rename the data key in the Registry

HKCurrent User\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Data

Note: Please back up your registry before deleting or renaming it.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:28 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 7:57 AM
  • I noticed this is dated 2011.  It is now 2016.  I am having the same problem.  Sometimes the autocomplete works and sometimes it does not.  I have spent so much time on this trying to read and understand what to try, what not to do, etc.  I am to the point of risking making my employer mad.  I was wondering how you resolved this.  I have tried some outside autocomplete products but I just dont have the time to learn anything new.   I dont need all that stuff that comes with the others- I just want my words in there not all the junk that comes with it.  I would appreciate any suggestion you might have.  Thanks!  
    Saturday, January 30, 2016 5:20 PM
  • In Word 2010 and later, AutoComplete suggestions only work for AutoText stored in the Normal template or in the template attached to the document you are working with. If you have saved AutoText (Building Block) entries elsewhere, you (usually) won't see the AutoComplete suggestion.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, February 4, 2016 7:08 PM
  • Stefan, in Word 2013 and later, AutoText entries autocomplete works in Normal.dotm, global templates, and the attached template. It does NOT work with AutoText stored in Building Blocks.dotx or other templates placed in the building blocks folder. While I am not certain of this with Word 2016 because I refuse to be an unpaid beta tester, I am certain for Word 2013 and don't understand why they would restore the feature in 2013 only to remove it again.

This is an AutoText entry named pl_jurat for an affidavit header in Word 2013. It is stored in a global template and displays the ToolTip and will AutoComplete upon pressing Enter.

If you type four unique characters to start the AutoText entry name, you can press the F3 key to insert it regardless of where it is stored.

Here is Word 2010 not showing the ToolTip but inserting by pressing the F3 key:

Automated Boilerplate Using Microsoft Word

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Friday, February 5, 2016 3:09 AM
  • I wasn't aware that there had been improvement with regards to this in Word 2013. Thanks.

Saturday, February 6, 2016 8:11 PM
  • I am equally frustrated.  I also use the CTRL + S and that works temporarily.  I have also learned that sometimes it works if under VIEW I reduce it to approximately 90 to 93%.  Also, I think it depends on whether you are copying, cutting and pasting from an earlier document.

Any newer responses or solutions?

Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:27 PM
  • I am equally frustrated.  I also use the CTRL + S and that works temporarily.  I have also learned that sometimes it works if under VIEW I reduce it to approximately 90 to 93%.  Also, I think it depends on whether you are copying, cutting and pasting from an earlier document.

Autocomplete for AutoText works differently in different versions of Word. Which is your version? In which template is your AutoText stored?

What, exactly, are you doing? what happens? what are you expecting that would be different from what happens?

Automated Boilerplate Using Microsoft Word

Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:32 PM

As far as I know, AutoComplete suggestions only trigger during *typing*. That is, if you paste in text that happens to be the name of a Building Block, you won't see a prompt. A formatted AutoCorrect entry may be an alternative, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

As Charles has already said, we need more information.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:12 PM
  • One other question: Have you tried renaming the registry DATA key as suggested in the post marked as an answer?

Friday, March 3, 2017 12:18 AM