locked
Entries missing from OAB due to Languages attribute blank RRS feed

  • Question

  • Received report that user who had been on leave had "show in address book' attribute re-enabled but was not appearing in the Offline Address Book, I verified name was in the GAL.  Comparing all attributes using Get-mailbox -identity  xxx | fl  I notice that the attribute Languages was blank for this user while others had {en-US} entered in the field.  I used the set-mailbox -identity xxx -languages "en-US" on this mailbox, updated the OAB and manually downloaded to Outlook and the user then appeared in the OAB.  After a lot of searching I can find no one else reporting this issue.  I have yet to determine if the process we use for leaves of absence causes the attribute to become null.  I'd appreciate any feedback anyone might have on this and hope that my workaround might help someone having the same issue.
    RKCaluori
    Friday, March 4, 2011 4:50 PM

Answers

  • I'm fairly certain this was the cause, we tried several updates, we made sure the email address attributes matched, we tried resetting mandatory properties.  We've been trying to fix this for several weeks, the user returned from leave back in December and updates run twice per day.  After each change we manually updated the OAB and tested.  No other change was made since the last update. I've got logging set to high for OAB Generation and no errors related to this have been reported.  I'm going to try testing this but that property is difficult to filter on, Where filters is not working for me.  I have test environments and if I have time I will try to reproduce this.


    RKCaluori
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, March 11, 2011 1:34 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 6:26 PM

All replies

  • No, this is not the reason. Setting the languate property with the cmdlet set-mailbox ... -language sets the language of the OWA when a user connects. The second effect is the the folders are displayed in an other language.

    From online help:
    "The Languages parameter specifies the language preferences for this mailbox, in order of preference. Several Exchange components display information to a mailbox user in the preferred language, if that language is supported. Some of those components include quota messages, non-delivery reports (NDRs), the Outlook Web App user interface, and Unified Messaging (UM) voice prompts."

    Have you tried to update your Address list manually without setting the language attribute?


    regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I'm fairly certain this was the cause, we tried several updates, we made sure the email address attributes matched, we tried resetting mandatory properties.  We've been trying to fix this for several weeks, the user returned from leave back in December and updates run twice per day.  After each change we manually updated the OAB and tested.  No other change was made since the last update. I've got logging set to high for OAB Generation and no errors related to this have been reported.  I'm going to try testing this but that property is difficult to filter on, Where filters is not working for me.  I have test environments and if I have time I will try to reproduce this.


    RKCaluori
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, March 11, 2011 1:34 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 6:26 PM