Google Chrome crashes with Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am experiencing a serious problem with Google chrome after upgrading to Windows 10. Chrome crashes quite often and I need to restart the browser again and again and again..Very annoying.  By the way I have re-installed the Chrome for Windows 10 in an attempt to solve this issue, but problem remains.

Any help??? Is Microsoft working on that??

Many thanks

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:19 PM

Answers

• Chrome crashes are a known problem with bulid 10525, in a blog post by Gab Aul from M.S. writes:

Known Issues

• Windows Hello face sign-on will not work on this build with some devices; the device can still be unlocked with other methods like pin, password, or fingerprint.
    • As reported by Insiders on the build 10525, 64 bit Google Chrome will crash on launch. Google is aware of the issue. In the meantime their 64 bit Google Chrome Canary build or 32 bit Google Chrome will work on this build.

so maybe try and get the Canary build or revert back to 32 bit Chrome

hope this helps.

Dave

Monday, September 21, 2015 8:15 AM

All replies

• There was a problem with one of the New Beta versions of Windows 10 + but that was fixed.

Chrome runs fine on my Windows 10 installations, so I suspect it is something specific with your machine.

My first guess is the chrome install itself. Have you tried to remove and then install chrome?

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:57 PM
  • Yes..uninstalled, downladed the last version of chrome yesterday and installed it again.. but problem remains
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:42 PM
  • Hi,

On my Windows 10 Enterprise lab machine, it works fine.

Thus I suggest you repair your Windows installation and then install Chrome again:

sfc /scannow

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Meanwhile, boot into Clean boot to check if it's caused by other software or services conflicts:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:10 AM
  • Like Brian mentioned, one build was bad with chrome, but I've not had any problems with chrome. I think the build was 10525, i'm currently on build 10532, and chrome runs fine.  I had to revert back from 10525, because it caused other issues with my machine (scanner quit working). 

I guess what I'd do is everything already mentioned, but make sure all you updates are installed.. 

Good luck :)

Dave

Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:30 PM
  • This is not an isolated problem. None of the obvious solutions work (re-installing Chrome, using the --no-sandbox add in, etc). This is a widespread Windows 10 problem and tragic that it hasn't been fixed by now, especially since Microsoft has finally sounded the deathknell for the forgettable "Bing".
    Would you be so kind as to give a bit more detail on how to use the sfc/scannow? It doesn't work from the DOS prompt, it can't be initiated in RUN, nor in set up, nor in the Windows System tab, nor anywhere else I can find.
    Thanks for any help, this is really becoming a nuisance.

Monday, September 21, 2015 8:08 AM
  • Chrome crashes are a known problem with bulid 10525, in a blog post by Gab Aul from M.S. writes:

Known Issues

• Windows Hello face sign-on will not work on this build with some devices; the device can still be unlocked with other methods like pin, password, or fingerprint.
    • As reported by Insiders on the build 10525, 64 bit Google Chrome will crash on launch. Google is aware of the issue. In the meantime their 64 bit Google Chrome Canary build or 32 bit Google Chrome will work on this build.

so maybe try and get the Canary build or revert back to 32 bit Chrome

hope this helps.

Dave

Monday, September 21, 2015 8:15 AM
  • I am having the very same issue. I have tried multiple Chrome uninstalls but it continues to suddenly freeze and then crash.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:39 PM
  • Today Oct 21. Windows 10. Chrome 46.0.2490.71 keeps freezing. This is definitely a problem with Chrome because I do not have that issue with Edge or Explorer. Come on Google - fix it !!
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:10 PM
  • After following your advice I get the following responses:

After sfc /scannow

"Beginning Verification phase of system scan

Verification 100% complete.

Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log windir\logs\cbs.log. For example C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios."

I opened the cbs.log file, but I can't tell much from it. Here's a link to it. If you'd rather, I can take some direction to try to find whatever part of this log is important. (apparently I can't post links)

Then I tried "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" which resulted in:

"Deployment image servicing and management tool

Version 10.0.10586.0

[================100%================}

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the source option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see (apparently I can't post links).

The DISM log file can be found at C:\windows\logs\DISM\dism.log"

Here is a link to that .log. Again, I'm not equipped to know what I'm looking for here. (apparently I can't post links)

Thanks for any help you can muster. I know I may be derailing the original topic, but I came here because I was having the same problem in my browser and nothing I've tried will fix it. Sometimes when I reboot the computer, it'll play video just fine but it always devolves into failure. Now I'm concerned that this may just be a smaller symptom of this larger issue of whatever corrupt files were found by resource protection.

Again, I really appreciate any help you can give.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:32 AM
  • You need to run cmd as an administrator. Try windows button + x then "command prompt (administrator)". This should allow you to run the sfc /scannow.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:51 AM