none
2016 and GP managing

Question

• Hi

I do not get Shared templates visible to my users in Office 2016 with GP admx templates. In 2007 and 2013, no problem.

Policy does made correct(?) hive in registery, but it does not show in Office2016.

hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\common\general\sharedtemplates

key: REG_EXPAND

Data: "templates path"

(previous answer:

We'd suggest you post the question in our Group Policy & Office 2016 Deployment forum which is dedicated to handling Group Policy related issues.

We would appreciate your understanding.)

Monday, January 25, 2016 2:47 PM

Answers

• GP does made those register entrys, but they do not show in Word, or any Office programs.

There is no path visible in Word settings.

So Group Policy actually works well here, correct registry keys got created on client machine. The issue is Office failed to read these registry keys.

I have tested this on my local lab, it seems work well on my end. Which version of Office 2016 are you using? Not all versions of Office support Group Policy, you can use Group Policy to manage the following versions of Office 2016:          

• Office suites available through volume licensing. For example, Office Standard 2016.
    • Individual Office programs sold through retail stores or through volume licensing.

If you buy Office as part of Office 365, your license plan determines whether you can use Group Policy to manage your Office programs:

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/office-applications-service-description.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by lassir Friday, February 5, 2016 12:27 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>I do not get Shared templates visible to my users in Office 2016 with GP admx templates

Are you referring to the following policy setting?

Users Configuration / Policies / Administrative Templates/Microsoft Office 2016 / Shared paths/ Workgroup template path

>>Policy does made correct(?) hive in registery,

The registry entry is the correct one that associated with the policy setting above. In this case, we can eliminate Group Policy here, as it seems applied well.

The issue might be on the Office side. Let's first verify whether Office 2016 has read that registry key correctly or not. Please launch Word 2016, then go to FILE>Options>Advanced>File Locations... button, and see if the "Workgroup templates" field has the correct path as the value.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:05 AM
  • Yes, workgroup-, or enterprice template path. GP does made those register entrys, but they do not show in Word, or any Office programs.

There is no path visible in Word settings. Could it be language version issue? Ours is Finnish.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:33 AM
  • GP does made those register entrys, but they do not show in Word, or any Office programs.

There is no path visible in Word settings.

So Group Policy actually works well here, correct registry keys got created on client machine. The issue is Office failed to read these registry keys.

I have tested this on my local lab, it seems work well on my end. Which version of Office 2016 are you using? Not all versions of Office support Group Policy, you can use Group Policy to manage the following versions of Office 2016:          

• Office suites available through volume licensing. For example, Office Standard 2016.
    • Individual Office programs sold through retail stores or through volume licensing.

If you buy Office as part of Office 365, your license plan determines whether you can use Group Policy to manage your Office programs:

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/office-applications-service-description.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

• Marked as answer by lassir Friday, February 5, 2016 12:27 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 7:43 AM
  • Ok, that was it then. So, I have to make registerpush from GP to make it work.
    Friday, February 5, 2016 12:27 PM