Windows XP Mode - what is running in background when application is run in compatibility mode. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When i install XP Mode, and then using GUI i will install application for example: VMware infrastructure client.
    Then i got shortcut to it.

When i run that app which components of XP are running in the background? Is it "full" XP?

If i wont run any app using XP mode, are services running in the background? How much RAM does these processed consume?
    Is there running a copy of XP in the background? Shall i install there Antivir software top be protected or when app using XP Mode do not access vulnarable areas?

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:18 PM

Answers

• A full copy of XP is running in the virtual machine. XP Mode is an XP virtual machine hosted by Windows 7 Virtual PC plus RemoteApp. RemoteApp uses Terminal Services to publish an application to Windwos 7. You can accomplish the same thing without installing XP Mode. You can build a normal XP or Vista virtual machine and install RAIL (Remote Applications Integrated Locally), which I described in this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprovirt/thread/d562ea13-cf45-48fd-97d8-25ff8bee60cb

How much ram is ued depends on what you are doing. The total amount of ram used by the XP Mode virtual machine is limited to the amount of ram specified in the settings for the virtual machine.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:35 PM
  • In addition to what john said, that "Full" XP that runs when you an XP Mode app, shuts itself down after a few seconds if you stop running the app, so it doesn't really run all the time.

As for an antivirus app in the VM, my rule of thumb is if it accesses the internet in any way, then it needs an antivirus app running.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:41 PM

All replies

• A full copy of XP is running in the virtual machine. XP Mode is an XP virtual machine hosted by Windows 7 Virtual PC plus RemoteApp. RemoteApp uses Terminal Services to publish an application to Windwos 7. You can accomplish the same thing without installing XP Mode. You can build a normal XP or Vista virtual machine and install RAIL (Remote Applications Integrated Locally), which I described in this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprovirt/thread/d562ea13-cf45-48fd-97d8-25ff8bee60cb

How much ram is ued depends on what you are doing. The total amount of ram used by the XP Mode virtual machine is limited to the amount of ram specified in the settings for the virtual machine.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:35 PM
  • In addition to what john said, that "Full" XP that runs when you an XP Mode app, shuts itself down after a few seconds if you stop running the app, so it doesn't really run all the time.

As for an antivirus app in the VM, my rule of thumb is if it accesses the internet in any way, then it needs an antivirus app running.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:41 PM