APP-V HTTP publishing (appsntype.xml?) RRS feed

• Question

• I like to use HTTP protocol in server type, documents says (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843737.aspx) that client also wants some XML-file to be configured...

SWIPUBSVRPATH="/AppVirt/appsntype.xml"

...what is this APPSNTYPE.XML, where i can find it or how do i generate it ? Is there any document about this ?
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 5:43 AM

Answers

• First you should know if you want HTTP for "Publishing" (Announcing/unveiling) or for "Streaming" (downloading of the application package itself).

(I recommend reading Ment's Whitepaper for some initial orientation: http://www.loginconsultants.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=96&Itemid=149 )

The effort for HTTP publishing is quite high: you'd have to create an APPLIST.XML (referred to as "appsntype.xml in the command line parameters), and if you want to publish different application to different users, you'd need an web application to create the APPLIST.XML for each individual user.

HTTP streaming on the other hand is quite easy, however I'd combine it with "RTSP Publishing" because of the easier management.

A good reason to justify HTTP Publishing IMHO is within organizations without an Active Directroy and without any other Software Distribution Method only.

Falko
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Hi,

Please follow the blog posted: HTTP Publishing in App-V

Thanks & with Regards,

App-V.in Team
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Janne Saarinen Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:40 AM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:17 AM

All replies

• First you should know if you want HTTP for "Publishing" (Announcing/unveiling) or for "Streaming" (downloading of the application package itself).

(I recommend reading Ment's Whitepaper for some initial orientation: http://www.loginconsultants.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=96&Itemid=149 )

The effort for HTTP publishing is quite high: you'd have to create an APPLIST.XML (referred to as "appsntype.xml in the command line parameters), and if you want to publish different application to different users, you'd need an web application to create the APPLIST.XML for each individual user.

HTTP streaming on the other hand is quite easy, however I'd combine it with "RTSP Publishing" because of the easier management.

A good reason to justify HTTP Publishing IMHO is within organizations without an Active Directroy and without any other Software Distribution Method only.

Falko
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Hi,

Please follow the blog posted: HTTP Publishing in App-V

Thanks & with Regards,

App-V.in Team
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Janne Saarinen Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:40 AM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:17 AM