FCS and MOM agent auto installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a few questions:

1. We are running SCOM and SCCM. Will the FCS MOM agent work along side these agents? Any known issues?

2. I want to push out the client from the FCS console. Is this possible as from what I see and have read it only pushes out the policy and the MOM agent is required for reporting. Is there a way to push the FCS client, policy, and MOM agent from the console and in what order? Other AV products can do this.

I have tried using a GPO and alos tried assigning the policy to an OU but nothing happens on the client. If I manually install the client on the PC it works but doesn't show up as managed and I know this is down to the MOM agent.

When I try to roll out the MOM agent I get an "Access Denied" error.

I see on another post http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/Forefrontclientsetup/thread/aef373ec-961e-42d7-aa8d-20560eec3682 that if you apply the policy to the OU and have WSUS 3.0 that it should pull down the MOM agent and the client. Is this correct?

Monday, July 5, 2010 10:49 AM

Answers

• Hi!

1. We are running SCOM and SCCM. Will the FCS MOM agent work along side these agents? Any known issues?

Yes, the MOM agent can coexist with these agents.

2. I want to push out the client from the FCS console. Is this possible as from what I see and have read it only pushes out the policy and the MOM agent is required for reporting. Is there a way to push the FCS client, policy, and MOM agent from the console and in what order? Other AV products can do this.

No, there is no way of pushing the agent (FCS and MOM) from the FCS console. You need to use the client package (on your FCS media) and SCCM or some thing similar.

I have tried using a GPO and alos tried assigning the policy to an OU but nothing happens on the client. If I manually install the client on the PC it works but doesn't show up as managed and I know this is down to the MOM agent.

You should look under "pending actions" on your MOM server. the client ends up here first before beeing autómatically approved (also check your firewall on the mom server (allow port 1270 TCP and UDP))

Don't try, its the wrong way of installing FCS :-)

I see on another post http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/Forefrontclientsetup/thread/aef373ec-961e-42d7-aa8d-20560eec3682 that if you apply the policy to the OU and have WSUS 3.0 that it should pull down the MOM agent and the client. Is this correct?

Yes, you can distribute the agent (FCS with MOM) from wsus. YOu have to deploy a FCS GPO policy first, then approve the agent manually (accepting EULA) in wsus. After this your client will install fcs and mom the next time the check with wsus. the problem is that you don't have control over the install time and how aere you going to uninstall your current AV?

/Johan

MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    • Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kins Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by kins Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:53 PM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi!

Yes, the MOM agent can coexist with these agents.

No, there is no way of pushing the agent (FCS and MOM) from the FCS console. You need to use the client package (on your FCS media) and SCCM or some thing similar.

You should look under "pending actions" on your MOM server. the client ends up here first before beeing autómatically approved (also check your firewall on the mom server (allow port 1270 TCP and UDP))

Don't try, its the wrong way of installing FCS :-)

Yes, you can distribute the agent (FCS with MOM) from wsus. YOu have to deploy a FCS GPO policy first, then approve the agent manually (accepting EULA) in wsus. After this your client will install fcs and mom the next time the check with wsus. the problem is that you don't have control over the install time and how aere you going to uninstall your current AV?

/Johan

MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    • Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kins Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by kins Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:53 PM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Hi thanks for that. I see a problem on the WSUS server and that it is still trying to download the agreement. I am setting up a new WSUS server anyway so that should fix that.

We are deploying new PCs so it is a new image. Do you know if we put the AV install in the image and roll it out will it work ok or should we just roll out the AV to the new clients when they get onto the network? We have a good few remote sites also.

Monday, July 5, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

Do you mean deploy FCS clients by using disk images? If yes, you may refer to this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd578300.aspx

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

The FCS agent installed on my test PC after approving more updates and setting the auto approval. The agent is green and is getting the policy from the Console.

In my FCS console I am only seeing 1 Managed Computer.

I just noticed in program and features that the MOM agent is on the PC along with the Client sec state assessment service and antimalware service. 

Still not seeing it in the Console as managed

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:31 AM
  • Greetings;

-          Of course, MOM agent can work with these agents,

-          No way to push FCS Client with MOM agent from FCS console, you can deploy it from SCCM or by Script.

-          To force client to be managed by server at short time  you can open MOM administrator console an select  pending action the select all computer and right click  and select  manually approve

-          You can create GPO and name it as you like then create FCS setting and deploy  this setting on the created GPO

Mahdy
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:47 AM