Windows 10 Cumulative Update December, 2016 - Issues with Active Directory Administrative Center (KB3213986) RRS feed

• Question

• As we have been deploying cumulative update patches to Windows 10 machines. We have had some complaints that modifying group memberships, log on to computers and other items cause Active Directory Administrative Center (ADAC) to crash. Removing the cumulative patch fixes the issue, but can come with some consequence for bitlocker enabled machines. We have tried applying the January Cumulative patch, but it did not correct the issue.

The generic error is ADAC must close due to an unknown error.

The application event logs show a .net error related to dsac.exe (framework version 4.0.30319) and a KERNELBASE.dll module error

Faulting application name: dsac.exe, version: 10.0.14393.347, time stamp: 0x57f86637
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x582588e6
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000017788
    Faulting process id: 0x29ac
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2727c222455b2
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dsac.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 48a47f62-15dc-42ad-896c-df07a5d6e239
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Any ideas on what might be causing this or how to rectify?

thanks

Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

At present, we haven`t got any similar cases. I have checked on my clean installed Windows 10 machine, there is no dsac.exe in C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder. I suggest you reinstall it and re-registering kernelbase.dll using regsvr32 KERNELBASE.dll command, check if it helps.

Meanwhile, you could use the "Feedback" tool to submit the issue at the same time.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 20, 2017 8:28 AM
  • Hello,

dsac.exe is located in the folder c:\windows\system32 when you install the RSAT tools for Windows 10. These are tools commonly used by system admins. Registering the kernelbase.dll results in the following message: The module "c:\windows\system32\kernelbase.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

If you have a moment, please let me know how to invoke the feedback tool in this scenario.

Thanks,

Sunday, January 22, 2017 3:09 PM
  • entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

Nevertheless finding something to re-register could be a good idea.  You can use DependencyWalker on dsac.exe to give you a list of all the modules it is linked to which do have either DllRegisterServer or DllInstall as entry points and then re-register them.  I have outlined this procedure elsewhere for creating a list of registerable .dll which involve iexplore.exe.

https://answers.microsoft.com/message/e6ae04c1-6f74-4eec-8c70-4c6b7fcfa142

Others don't bother doing any analysis but apparently just get the job done by trying to re-register any .dll they can find.

However, I just glanced back at your "exception code".  0xe0434352  That could be ASCII.  CCR.  Perhaps it's a clue?   Running ProcMon may clarify what else is happening.  If you have another case where it is working normally you could have two ProcMon traces to compare for their essential differences.  Etc. 

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, January 22, 2017 4:01 PM
  • Thank you Robert. I will take all of those suggestions into consideration and see if I can find the source of the issue. Your response is very much appreciated and I will post back with what I find.
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 11:01 PM
  • Hi ,

How about the issue now? Is there any thing to update?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 9:03 AM
  • Hello All - My apologies for not replying here sooner. I was unable to get anywhere with a fix. However, my computer is in our 1st pilot group for updates and KB4013429 appears to have fixed the issue. It installed on my machine on 3/16/2017. Here's a MS article that describes fixes: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013429/windows-10-update-kb4013429

N.Frost

• Proposed as answer by -Mr Happy- Sunday, March 26, 2017 10:42 PM
    Sunday, March 26, 2017 10:11 PM