Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I click on my library icon I get this lovely message:

Runtime Error!

Program:C:\Windows\explorer.exe

This program has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I can't access my computer tab at all, I just get a blank white screen. I've tried going into programs and uninstalling all the Visual C++ that I could find, then going onto the MS website and reinstalling the latest ones. I've gone into the command prompt and tried the sfc/scannow route, and it said that there were corrupted files but that it resolved the issues...which didn't help anything. I tried doing a system restore to an earlier date and that did nothing.

Please help. I'm not all that tech savvy and I'm lost.

Monday, February 16, 2015 2:08 AM

Answers

• Can you clean boot and check the results : 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-au

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by arnavsharma Friday, May 22, 2015 1:01 AM
    Monday, February 16, 2015 2:25 AM
  • Hi SJM90,

"so I'm assuming that tells me that the error is due to an issue with Microsoft Library."

Please check the following link and try the solutions in it to solve the "Media library is corrupted" issue and then have a check of the symptom.

Windows Media Player - Media library is corrupted.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/windows-media-player-media-library-is-corrupted/1dd3982a-7122-4bc9-b667-79b60c237734

Best regards

Monday, March 2, 2015 1:53 AM
  • Hi Sjm90,

When did this issue occur ? Will the issue only occur when you try to open a library ?

A runtime error is a software or hardware problem that prevents a program from working correctly. Runtime errors might cause you to lose information in the file you're working on, cause errors in the file (corrupt the file) so you can't work with it, or prevent you from using a feature. Unlike stop errors,  runtime errors don't typically cause Windows or a program to stop working.

Here is a link for reference :
    What is a runtime error?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-runtime-error#1TC=windows-7

"I can't access my computer tab at all, I just get a blank white screen"
    It is a little strange, I would suggest you perform a full scan with an antivirus software.

" I've gone into the command prompt and tried the sfc/scannow route, and it said that there were corrupted files but that it resolved the issues"

Have you tried to run the command again to confirm the corrupted files have been repaired completely ?

Best regards

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 6:45 AM
  • Hi SJM,

"The issue just started yesterday"

Considering this issue occured recently ,we can try to perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous point to have a check .

Best regards

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 11:11 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the cleanboot mode as mentioned in the first reply? Cleanboot mode can help us eliminate third party software conflicts, Runtime errors can usually occur if  you are running two software programs that aren't compatible.

Meanwhile, please run a virus scan to eliminate malicious software\virus infection.

Regards

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 27, 2015 9:04 AM

All replies

• Can you clean boot and check the results : 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-au

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 16, 2015 2:25 AM
  • I did a clean boot, disabled all programs but MS, restarted my computer, and when I tried to access my library again I got the exact same message.
    Monday, February 16, 2015 4:12 AM
  • Hi Sjm90,

When did this issue occur ? Will the issue only occur when you try to open a library ?

A runtime error is a software or hardware problem that prevents a program from working correctly. Runtime errors might cause you to lose information in the file you're working on, cause errors in the file (corrupt the file) so you can't work with it, or prevent you from using a feature. Unlike stop errors,  runtime errors don't typically cause Windows or a program to stop working.

Here is a link for reference :
    What is a runtime error?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-runtime-error#1TC=windows-7

"I can't access my computer tab at all, I just get a blank white screen"
    It is a little strange, I would suggest you perform a full scan with an antivirus software.

" I've gone into the command prompt and tried the sfc/scannow route, and it said that there were corrupted files but that it resolved the issues"

Have you tried to run the command again to confirm the corrupted files have been repaired completely ?

Best regards

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 6:45 AM
  • The issue just started yesterday. It only happens when I open my windows library. I have done a full scan with antivirus software and nothing came up. I've made sure everything in Windows is updated.

I did do sfc/scannow twice in a row and after the second scan it said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." But then I went into System and Security > Review your computer's status > Troubleshooting > Programs. I checked Windows Media Library and it said to 'Recreate Windows Media Library.' I clicked 'Apply this fix' and after it said Troubleshooting was complete, it also said under 'Problems detected' that 'Media library is corrupted.'

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 7:51 AM
  • Hi SJM,

"The issue just started yesterday"

Considering this issue occured recently ,we can try to perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous point to have a check .

Best regards

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 11:11 AM
  • I have tried a system restore. I've tried multiple earlier dates, up to a week before the problem started.

It didn't do anything to fix the issue.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the cleanboot mode as mentioned in the first reply? Cleanboot mode can help us eliminate third party software conflicts, Runtime errors can usually occur if  you are running two software programs that aren't compatible.

Meanwhile, please run a virus scan to eliminate malicious software\virus infection.

Regards

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 27, 2015 9:04 AM
  • I've tried a cleanboot and disabled all non-Microsoft programs, but the problem continued, so I'm assuming that tells me that the error is due to an issue with Microsoft Library.

I've also run a number of scans, and there are no viruses or malware.

Friday, February 27, 2015 9:57 AM
  • Hi SJM90,

"so I'm assuming that tells me that the error is due to an issue with Microsoft Library."

Please check the following link and try the solutions in it to solve the "Media library is corrupted" issue and then have a check of the symptom.

Windows Media Player - Media library is corrupted.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/windows-media-player-media-library-is-corrupted/1dd3982a-7122-4bc9-b667-79b60c237734

Best regards

Monday, March 2, 2015 1:53 AM