none
Radeon 9200 vista drivers. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have Windows Vista Ultimate installed and it's working great, I need ATI drivers for my 9200 so I can have Aero working.

Is there any yet?

Many thanks
    Dave.
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 1:21 AM

Answers

• Hello, just a note to anyone having problems installing ATI radeon 9200 drivers in Vista. Please note this is not my work (I read it elsewhere) but I think it should be okay to share it with you.

With this method (provided you have 1 gig of ram) you will be able to run your machine just as fast as under XP with 3D acceleration enabled. DVDs/Divx etc will also run as smoothly as under XP. Note, that it is impossible to enable Aero for this card. Give it up! Anyway, you are not missing a lot so don't worry.

First, you will need to connect your laptop to a external monitor. (Unfortunately, this is the only method I found whereby the drivers actually worked without crashing the computer upon reboot).

1)Boot it up from external monitor (Will probably give you dual display automatically)

2) Next, get some XP drivers, (I downloaded the compaq ones, I think)
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/mobility-radeon.html

3) Exact them using winrar or something to your desktop.

4) go to the control panel --> system ---> device manager and then Display adapters and update the driver. You are going to tell it you will browse, and 'let me pick' then choose 'display adapter' and point it you the folder you extracted to your desktop. Update the driver. Unplug the external monitor and reboot. Viola!

Finally you will probably be able to install some kind of ATI panel, which gives you more options. I have not tried that, but one never knows.....

Saturday, March 24, 2007 1:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,dude,I am having the same problem.But I think ATI is not going to give one for 9200...as it is listed for not supported vistaI doubt radeon 9200 can run Aero tho.
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 3:36 AM
  • You are right it will never run Aero, but does Sleep Mode work in your setup. If I select sleep, my system crashes!
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 9:12 AM
  • I would actually be gratefull to even worry about sleep mode.

Everytime Microsift down,load an update, It set the drivers to Mobility Radeon 9000 set the monitor to non PnP. So all you get then is a whole heap of lines jumoing accross the screen, at which point providing you now which one of the two cursors to use, you can then roll back the driver to the system default, 1024 x 768 and you can finally see something.

I have tried all modes and refresh rates, but still with the lines running horizonatally through the display.

Monday, February 5, 2007 5:39 PM
  • Hello,
    as the RADEON 9200 is not directx9 capable, so you'll never see AERO run with this card.
    There won't be any drivers - so try to get a cheap directx9-card :-)
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 12:24 AM
  • to fix the sleep issue I've downloaded the latest drivers from asus for mobility radeon 9000/9200 : ftp.asus.com.tw/Pub/asus/nb/A4D/VGA_XP_2K_060102.zip 

or download from IBM Thinkpad R40 support page.

bye

Luc@

Monday, February 12, 2007 8:44 PM
  • The link doesn't work. Are you able to send me the driver?
    Friday, February 16, 2007 5:45 AM
  • The main reason for your display givin lines is coz ... everytime u run windows update it downloads ATI Radeon 9000 Drivers which for sum reason isnt compatible here. Check you Windows update items before you update next time. And uninstall those drivers from your device mngr.

As for the R40 or Asus Update its for f@#%!in XP/2000 not fr vista  and if u still wanna go ahead & try it heres the link

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/1rd635ww.exe

And about buyin another Card - how will dudes with 9200 Mobility be able to do that ...

If anyone finds a driver pls post back here ...

Friday, February 23, 2007 4:59 AM
  • Maybe you are right, but there are only XP drivers for the Mobility Radeon 9200. I am running one for a compaq laptop. And genreally it works fine, but the sleep mode, whih is realy not nice on a laptop.

I realy can not believe that there is no vista driver, even if aero does not work (i do not need aero) but I want to have a driver which uses the graphic card as it should, namely with the Vista Drivre modell and not with the XP driver model.

If anyone finds a driver please post back!!!

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:48 PM
  • Hello, just a note to anyone having problems installing ATI radeon 9200 drivers in Vista. Please note this is not my work (I read it elsewhere) but I think it should be okay to share it with you.

With this method (provided you have 1 gig of ram) you will be able to run your machine just as fast as under XP with 3D acceleration enabled. DVDs/Divx etc will also run as smoothly as under XP. Note, that it is impossible to enable Aero for this card. Give it up! Anyway, you are not missing a lot so don't worry.

First, you will need to connect your laptop to a external monitor. (Unfortunately, this is the only method I found whereby the drivers actually worked without crashing the computer upon reboot).

1)Boot it up from external monitor (Will probably give you dual display automatically)

2) Next, get some XP drivers, (I downloaded the compaq ones, I think)
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/mobility-radeon.html

3) Exact them using winrar or something to your desktop.

4) go to the control panel --> system ---> device manager and then Display adapters and update the driver. You are going to tell it you will browse, and 'let me pick' then choose 'display adapter' and point it you the folder you extracted to your desktop. Update the driver. Unplug the external monitor and reboot. Viola!

Finally you will probably be able to install some kind of ATI panel, which gives you more options. I have not tried that, but one never knows.....

Saturday, March 24, 2007 1:30 AM
  • Hello,

A solution that solves the sleep/Hibernate problem is to disable the directdraw acceleration functionality by going: display settings -> advanced settings -> troubleshoot -> change settings & then pull down the lever to the one saying "Disable all directdraw nd direct3d accelerations"

Works well when just doing ordinary desktop work anyways...

/Joggs

Saturday, April 7, 2007 7:45 AM
  • want i did is download directx9 then directx8 than download mobility radeon 9200 xp driver for hp web sit it will not load that ok.  go to device driver manager  update driver select browes my computer,browes to swsetup,sp30204,cx14371,ini.....follow install and it works....

geo_nace please pass it on

Sunday, September 23, 2007 8:14 PM
  • The whole thing is stupid, and I don't believe for a second that there is any physical limitation of the card to display these types of graphics.

WHY don't I believe it?

Because with that same Radeon 9200, I can install Sabayon Linux, or the new Ubuntu 8, and I get the wobbly windows, the translucent effects, and a fully 3 dimensional desktop, with 4 desktops on a cube, which I can zoom out of, and choose a new clean desktop to open another program on, etc.. with no problems! And 3D games work perfectly... 

I don't know anything Aero does that can't be done for free on linux, with packages such as compiz-fusion, so the only reasons I can see why these same effects can't be borrowed(yes, they were all done first on Linux/GNU or Mac OS), and done in Vista are-

1) Poor scripting

or

2) Like the OSS conspirary theorists allege, MS really DOES want to force you to buy new hardware all the time, just for the heck of it.

I tend to favor the former answer, but take your pick. It's still a load of ***, that my XP games run BETTER on a linux system running WineX, Cedega, etc.. than they do under Vista.

Even relatively simple and resource-sipping games like Frets On Fire don't run right. There's just no excuse.

No, I'm not going to go out and buy a new video card. But I AM thinking about putting my copy of Vista on eBay, and riding the wave of GPL software into the future.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:08 AM
  • Hey dudes and dudettes

I'm running Vista Ultimate with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200, my older brother found something called Catalyst or something, it seems like a Vista fix for the XP driver for the display adapter, he says to look at

http://www.amd.com

I don't know how he installed it, but my display works fine (minus the heartbreaking absence of aero) and best of all, I can even run at max resolution for the pc (1680x1050).

So I'd suggest having a look for Catalyst, it won't get you aero, but it'll make things work for you

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:52 AM
  • Mobius_thought

You make a pretty good arguement I have to say and I fully agree with many of your points, but one thing you're not taking into account is the fact that, should you really be in dire straights as far as fixing an issue you might have with an MS operating system, you can always contact your local support/service center and speak to someone who (possibly) had a hand in creating the OS in question... Where would you find better help? And even if you don't get hold of one of the OS's coders, chances are the person you speak to has been trained to use and provide support for the issues you are likely having.

Now consider the Linux alternative, there's how many different applications on there, all coded by the average joe in his bedroom who has nothing better to do. What are the odds you're going to find help with a feature when there's only one person who really knows anything about that feature?

I'm not saying you should stick with Microsoft products, it's completely your choice, but personally I prefer having the professional support that microsoft provides as opposed to trying to find someone who might be able to help me fix my problem.

One last consideration, Microsoft is a global empire, recognised all over the world, they're making millions each year. Open Source may be free, but really, what are the odds you're gonna find a professional when you need help?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:08 AM
  • man you are awesome IT WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
    • Proposed as answer by 7win Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:13 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:04 AM
  • tora201   he is right - saved the day :))

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:13 AM
  • what worked?????
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:59 PM
  • LoganY, please ask your elder brother what fix he used because I don't find anything on AMD/Ati/Catalyst for 9200 runnig Vista...
    Post a link please. 10x
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Hi Dave,
    I was trying to install Wins 7 RC and started errors on shutting down (blue screen). I searched several days for Radeon 9200 driver support, this is what I've found: http://download.softpedia.ro/dl/2baff8b2021989acba455f7bdd37b85a/4a5d5f1e/300018577/drivers/VIDEO/ati_catalyst_rc1_vista.exe . I haven't tried it yet, but I hope it might help for you and fellas trying to use old card on Wins 7 too.

Best of luck

PS: Just in case Softpedia does not support direct link, go to http://www.softpedia.com and search with key words: Radeon 9200 Vista
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:12 AM
  • I am running Windows 7 RC1 on HP Compaq nx7010 with the same video card.

The problem with this hardware is not Microsoft's fault. Windows Vista and 7 both use WDDM graphics drivers. The new model is to secure and enhance the experience.

Aero requires at least 128MB of memory and WDDM drivers. ATI decided to not write WDDM drivers since this hardware has only 64MB of memory. They do understand that WDDM is not only required for Aero but in general is required by Windows to function properly; and yet did not spend the time to write drivers for it.

That makes it impossible to have aero effects with this hardware. Now the matter of compatibility is in ATI's court. If they spend time and money writing this driver we all would be happy. I really doubt they will write the drivers though.

I installed Win7RC1 (clean install) and had it connected to the internet. It picked up the driver on its own and is working fine. I can put the laptop to sleep and wake up. Its not a WDDM driver though.

Heres what I see in device manager just incase you guys are wondering:

Driver Provider: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Driver Date: 1/20/2004
    Driver Version: 6.14.10.6422
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

I would recommend the geeks to download and install Windows 7 RC1 which is available for free on windows.com. It would expire in March I believe.
    For those who are not geeks; I would suggest wait for Windows 7 (expected in oct).
    • Proposed as answer by francis0101 Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:40 AM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:02 AM
  • I am using a HP Compaq Presario X1000 with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 display.

I have recently installed the Windows 7 RTM and tried various display drivers with no good results.

I am now using the driver proposed by Luca1973 above ftp.asus.com.tw/Pub/asus/nb/A4D/VGA_XP_2K_060102.zip 

At first I unzipped the folder and run the setup program inside but it was not successful.

Then I go to the Device Manager, choose the display driver and choose "Update Driver"->"Browse my computer for driver software"->"Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"->"Have Disk"->"Browse"

click to the subfolder inside your extracted folder and find the folder named "2KXP_INF" and choose the inf files there and click "OK"

A list of device is displayed and I choose "ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200"

the computer will install the driver and ask to restart the computer.

After restarting the computer my display was automatically set to 1680x1050, I found the following driver was installed:

Driver Date: 1/19/2005
    Driver Version: 6.14.10.6512

I went on to test Suspend and Hibernate and they WORKED!

I have not tried this on Vista as I was running XP and Ubuntu in the last few years.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 5:28 AM
  • Hey Francis,

Could you play a youtube video or something in mediaplayer in "fullscreen" and see if it works fine?
    The one Windows 7 picked up on its own doesnt work for fullscreen.
    • Proposed as answer by elvis carole Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:21 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 6:55 AM
  • Hi Iqbal,

I watched a few AVI movies using Windows Media Player 12, they worked fine in full screen and I experience no problems.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:28 AM
  • I am using a HP Compaq Presario X1000 with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 display.

I have recently installed the Windows 7 RTM and tried various display drivers with no good results.

I am now using the driver proposed by Luca1973 above ftp.asus.com.tw/Pub/asus/nb/A4D/VGA_XP_2K_060102.zip  

At first I unzipped the folder and run the setup program inside but it was not successful.

Then I go to the Device Manager, choose the display driver and choose "Update Driver"->"Browse my computer for driver software"->"Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"->"Have Disk"->"Browse"

click to the subfolder inside your extracted folder and find the folder named "2KXP_INF" and choose the inf files there and click "OK"

A list of device is displayed and I choose "ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200"

the computer will install the driver and ask to restart the computer.

After restarting the computer my display was automatically set to 1680x1050, I found the following driver was installed:

Driver Date: 1/19/2005
    Driver Version: 6.14.10.6512

I went on to test Suspend and Hibernate and they WORKED!

I have not tried this on Vista as I was running XP and Ubuntu in the last few years.
     francis0101

thanks man

i have hp pavilion zt3000 with ati radeon 9200 .. i tried to use this driver with instruction you mentioned above  with windows 7 ultimate 6.1.7600. IT WORKED FOR ME !!!!!

best regard
    • Proposed as answer by x3jqs4e Friday, September 18, 2009 7:22 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:15 PM
  • hello, i am sorry  for my bed English, i would like to tell about my solution(win7.7600 rtm):
    1. Install the Win2K Drivers instead, from ATI page, ~11mb (throw on compatibility mode Xp-SP2)
    2. Do not restart Computer when asked, instead remove ati2dvrag.dll from system32 folder… put it on  desktop or something.
    3. Logoff computer… log back in and return ati2dvrag.dll to system32 folder.
    4. Logoff computer again…
    5. Restart Computer (At this point my system shutdown perfectly without blue screen!)
    6. Shutdown computer again to test and make sure still no blue screen!
    also before all this directx 9 was installed
    I really don’t know if it was just the Win2k driver or not.But just to let you know, the XP and Win2k drivers both have the ati2dvrag.dll file…
    Friday, September 18, 2009 7:52 PM
  • I have a hp pavilion zt3000 running on vista and have been trying to get his fixed this for a long time and just about given up until now.

What I did was:-

(1) Download the latest driver from the HP site for XP. Make sure your model tallies. For example in my case the front of the computer says ZT3000 but the serial number says it is a ZT3280us model. Probably same files anyway, but hey doesnt hurt to get it right.

(2) Run the setup and remember where the files are stored eg: C:\swsetp. This setup will fail but don't worry.

(3) After the "install the vga driver" error message, go to control panel - device mgr.

(4) go to display adapters, vga - update driver software.., browse my computer for software.., let me pick.., have disk..

(5) browse and point to where the files were stored ie c:\swsetup\sp30204\driver\2kxp_inf\C2......, use the windows 2000 file, have not tried the CX... which is the XP driver. maybe as x3jqs4e found out, the windows 2000 driver is more accomodating.

After bootup, the screen works beautifully, beauty newk.

Good luck

Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:07 PM
  • DONE IT!

I struggled for a while as well. i tried the updated xp driver from vaio - no luck, then after a few other methods, i downloaded the original vgn-a115s driver package for xp from vaio support,

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-A115S

extracted it, extracted the a115s  video folder, cut it, pasted it in the extracted original drivers root folder, renamed it (original name too long),
    start
    right click - computer
    CLICK - manage
    CLICK - device manager
    right click - standard vga adapter
    click - update driver
    click - browse
    point to the new extracted renamed folder
    ok
    restart

- now i can view the display on an external screen!

but i never bother with power leeching aero as i am after performance - so i wouldn't know as i haven't tried

visit youtube.com/user/abz2000123
    http://abz2000.com/news.aspx
    peace,
    abz

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Thank you!

You're the best!

Friday, September 15, 2017 9:02 PM