Disk Protection cache location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Would it be possible to change the location of Disk Protection cache file ?
    Disk Protection would still protect Windows partition (C: volume) but file cache.wdp would be stored on volume D: for example ?

Thanks

Alban

Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

That's not possible--the cache file must be on the partition being protected.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:56 AM
  • ok, thanks Rob.

Alban
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Rob Elmer [MSFT] said:

Hi,

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState

Is it possible to expound on why this constraint exists?  Specifically, does it have to do with the file and data structure of the drive being protected or is it simply a design decision that could be updated in future versions?
    Monday, February 23, 2009 11:45 AM
  • Hi,

I asked this question because I intended to use Steady State (Disk Protection only) in conjunction with iSCSI booting: as every write to the the system volume would be redirected to a volatile sandbox, it would allow to boot multiple client to an unique iSCSI target.
    Maybe it wouldn't work for many reasons, but anyway it requires to store the cache anywhere else than on the boot volume.

By the way, any plan to support 64 bit Windows ?

thanks

Alban
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:29 AM
  • Can I use a NTFS file junction for the cache file? I really dont want that cache on my SSD HD.
    Why ins't there an option to move the cache file? Can it be implemented?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 2:35 PM