none
Project Server 2013 referencing old Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I'm having a bizarre issue; I have SharePoint 2013 and running Project server 2013 on it. Overall the server behaves normally and no complaints from users, however I stumbled across these error logs on the application server running the project service.

Standard Information:PSI Entry Point: <unknown>
    Project User: <unknown>
    Correlation Id: <unknown>
    PWA Site URL:
    SA Name: <unknown>
    PSError: <unknown>
    A queue job has failed. This is a general error logged by the Project Server Queue everytime a job fails - for effective troubleshooting use this error message with other more specific error messages (if any), the Operations guide (which documents more details about queued jobs) and the trace log (which could provide more detailed context). More information about the failed job follows. GUID of the failed job: 00dafe81-fbb2-e411-80ce-0050569a16f9. Name of the computer that processed this job: 144cbbb6-b5d6-4d21-bcf3-a206c8072a88 (to debug further, you need to look at the trace log from this computer). Failed job type: ReportingWSSSync. Failed sub-job type: WSSSyncMessageEx. Failed sub-job ID: 1. Stage where sub-job failed:  (this is useful when one sub-job has more than one logical processing stages).

when i looked further into I noticed hundered of queued jobs that have failed with the following message:

ReportingWssTransferLinksFailed (24019) - Cannot open database "ProjectWebApp_test" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'username'. Details: id='24019' name='ReportingWssTransferLinksFailed' uid='dead4d82-fbb2-e411-80c9-0050569aa17b' Error='Cannot open database "ProjectWebApp_test" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'username'.'.

that DB does not, nor has it ever existed. The one the web instance is using is not the one mentioned above... Where can I go to check/change the setting which references the above DB to the correct one?

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, February 13, 2015 2:43 PM

Answers

• Microsoft Support  was able to help me resolve this issue, it was a Blocking error in the queue.

To check if you have a blocking error click on Server Settings > manage queue jobs, then sort by job state, if you find any blocking correlation failed jobs, look into it and cancel it. Once I cancelled my job, the error was removed.

• Marked as answer by JG-05 Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The first I would try is to re-provision the current PWA instance(s) (edit the current instances in SharePoint Central Admin without changing anything) just in case something has not been provisioned correctly if the db has been restored from another environment.

Then I would try to Remove the SP Project Database (make sure you are using the correct values and maybe backup your dbs etc. in advance):

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219526.aspx

I am thinking maybe only the site collection has been deleted and the project web app db remained somehow behind

Hope this helps

Paul

Friday, February 13, 2015 3:27 PM
  • Thanks Paul,

I tried to re-provision the instance to no avail and also tried removing the mentioned DB, but it's just not found.

I will open a case with MS later on today if I don't get more replies.

I really appreciate your response.

John

Friday, February 13, 2015 4:49 PM
  • John,

This is a typical scenario of orphan database. In SharePoint if database is directly deleted from SQL server without properly disassociating SharePoint services with their databases, in this scenario Project databases with PWA, SharePoint timer jobs will still try to execute the jobs. Try following steps

Execute below PowerShell cmd to remove Orphan databases.

$orphanedDB = Get-SPDatabase | where{$_.Name -like "ProjectWebApp_test"}  
    $orphanedDB.Delete()

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Sunday, February 15, 2015 1:40 AM
  • Thanks Hrishi,

but it can't find this database. I've opened a case with MS and I will post the answer here.

Thanks for your help anyway

John

Sunday, February 15, 2015 2:29 PM
  • Microsoft Support  was able to help me resolve this issue, it was a Blocking error in the queue.

To check if you have a blocking error click on Server Settings > manage queue jobs, then sort by job state, if you find any blocking correlation failed jobs, look into it and cancel it. Once I cancelled my job, the error was removed.

• Marked as answer by JG-05 Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:04 PM