locked
IE Timing Issues with Steadystate? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've had issues with both IE7 and IE8 on a Dell Intel Core 2 Duo running Steadystate 2.5 and XP Pro 32 bit. Sometimes new instance of IE or a new tab would freeze on launch. I've been playing around with the DNS Cache Timeout, Keep Alive Timeout, and Server Info Timeout registry settings using IE Timeout Tuner 1.0

    http://ie-timeout-tuner.lastdownload.com/

    Are other Steadystate users having similar issues?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:41 PM

Answers

  • Hi Barry, based on the description, I consider the issue may not be caused by Windows SteadyState, as only enabling Windows Disk Protection should not cause such issue.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Barry Henley Saturday, December 19, 2009 5:04 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:38 AM

All replies

  • Hi Barry, does the issue occur if you disable restrictions in Windows SteadyState? We can first try differenct restriction levels to narrow down the issue.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:01 AM
  • I only use Steadystate for Disk Protection and my login (administrator) has no restrictions.

    I haven't had any issues with the DNS Cache Timeout, Keep Alive Timeout, and Server Info Timeout all set to 2 seconds on the Core 2 Duo system.

    FWIW, I have an Acer Netbook with Steadystate on the same network and basically the same setup with out any tweaking and never have any timeout issues.

    On the Core 2 Duo system I am running an EchoVNC Server on port 80 and that may have some effect on things.
     
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Hi Barry, based on the description, I consider the issue may not be caused by Windows SteadyState, as only enabling Windows Disk Protection should not cause such issue.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Barry Henley Saturday, December 19, 2009 5:04 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:38 AM
  • Problem Solved. It was an RWIN and MaxMTU setting.

    I had upgraded my BIOS a while back and it caused XP Pro to rediscover most all my hardware. The RWIN and MaxMTU setting that were originally assigned to the NIC didn't pass to the rescanned hardware. I have ADSL that uses PPPoE and a MaxMTU of 1492. It was set to 1500.

    Dr. TCP to the rescue
    http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

    Sean, thank you for your input. It put me in the right direction.
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 5:04 AM
  • The above solution was just a minor band-aid. Here is what the problem was.

    I had installed IE 8 a few months ago. Apparently IE 8 increases the number of connections to a single web site. I guess that's how they boast "faster"

    Well things were getting saturated with the other apps that I have that also connect to the Internet. I found this patch

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000010
    "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000010

    If your curious at just how many connections IE 8 makes, download Sysinternals TCPView

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx
     

    Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:15 AM
  • Just an update. I was still plagued with this problem after the above registry tweak.

    The problem has been solved by moving from AVG 9 to MS Security Essentials.

    I got a hint to making this move after documenting a Windows Vista Home Basic PC could not surf, but could ping and Tracert when on a clients network via VPN. Removing AVG 9 cured the problem. I installed and uninstalled AVG 9 three times to prove the issue. Moved this Vista pc to MS Security Essentials and the VPN surfing problem was gone as well as no access to the Exchange server using Outlook.

    Something isn't right in AVG 9.

    Sunday, July 18, 2010 12:47 AM