Ultraedit v23 sorting functionality in App-v 5.1 application not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have sequenced the ultraedit v23 as an App V 5.1 application. I published the application and launched the ultraedit. Inside application text file i wrote some lines and tried to sort the lines in Alphabetical order on clicking Sort option in Ultraedit. When i clicked on Sort option application is crashing. Any suggestions ?

I tried prop-mon for troubleshooting and i tried Pvad as well but still it is not working.

I have one more challenge in ultraedit. Inside the application i added .txt file as file association but if i open any .txt file on appv published it is opening with Notepad. I tried with merge and override local registry but still it is not working. Any suggestions on this as well.

Friday, March 31, 2017 10:40 AM

Answers

• There seems to  be an issue with the VFS subsystem with this one. That might be related to Cygwin, as I see UltraEdit uses a cygwin sort.exe. I find that a bit cheap for a paid product actually :) But anyway, when I enable debug logging of the AppV client it logs some VFS errors. If I disable the VFS subsystem in the AppV package XML (tag <FileSystem Enabled="false" />) the application runs fine.

If you run this as a standalone package (ie not in a connectiongroup) this would be no problem. I'm not sure from the top of my head if all packages in a connectiongroup require the VFS settings to be identical, but probably even in a connectiongroup you'd be fine.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:46 AM
  • So you run it without an actual AppV server? Haven't (ever) tested that, but the result should be no different though. Try the package on h t t p s : / / 1drv.ms/u/s!ApkCUv0wQm8UgwDIrZPS22-W0sMp

[edit]

and note that the for me working XML is UltraEdit x64 v24_UserConfig_no_vfs.xml so you'll have to supply that. I publish to user here by the way, not to machine.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:45 PM

All replies

• Have you tried enabling COM mode in the sequencer advanced tab?

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Friday, March 31, 2017 11:47 AM
  • I'd like to test this for you as I'm always interersted in solving AppV related issues. However I can only download UltraEdit v24 on their site. Seems they don't offer downloads for previous version. While you could (or should?) try v24 maybe, can you upload your v23 setup file somewhere so I can fetch it from there?
    Monday, April 3, 2017 9:49 AM
  • I tried with all three options ticked. But still no luck.
    • Marked as answer by NaveenCh0826 Monday, April 3, 2017 3:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by NaveenCh0826 Monday, April 3, 2017 3:10 PM
    Monday, April 3, 2017 2:41 PM
  • Hi Robert,

I can't share the v23 since my network is very very secured. Could you please create an App-V 5.1 Package with v24 and write something in application, try for sort option in ultraedit application.

Thank you.

Monday, April 3, 2017 2:49 PM
  • x86 or x64?
    Monday, April 3, 2017 2:59 PM
  • x64 bit
    Monday, April 3, 2017 3:04 PM
  • It doesn't crash on me with an error, but still it doesn't work. I get a sort.exe running at 100% of one CPU thread and that's it, it keeps running at 100%. I'll see if I can track that down in the next days. I'm pretty sure I'll find some spare time for that.

Do older versions work? Did it work on previous AppV versions?

Monday, April 3, 2017 3:17 PM
  • I have an App-v 5.1 application of v17.30 and sort option is working in old version.
    Monday, April 3, 2017 3:38 PM
  • There seems to  be an issue with the VFS subsystem with this one. That might be related to Cygwin, as I see UltraEdit uses a cygwin sort.exe. I find that a bit cheap for a paid product actually :) But anyway, when I enable debug logging of the AppV client it logs some VFS errors. If I disable the VFS subsystem in the AppV package XML (tag <FileSystem Enabled="false" />) the application runs fine.

If you run this as a standalone package (ie not in a connectiongroup) this would be no problem. I'm not sure from the top of my head if all packages in a connectiongroup require the VFS settings to be identical, but probably even in a connectiongroup you'd be fine.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:46 AM
  • I changed the XML tag <FileSystem Enabled=""/> from true to false in both DeployementConfig.xml and UserConfig.xml but still application is hanging :( 
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:05 AM
  • Have you re-imported that modified XML in the management server? Also, you should remove the package from your host and clean all appv-stuff from your user profile (or for test just delete / rename his profile so he gets a new one) as alot of stuff gets cached on both machine and profile.

I could send make my package available for you to test if you can't get it to work.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:14 AM
  • Actually i'm installing app-v application manually with command "Add-Appvclient package......". I made the changes in both .xml files and installed on a clean machine but still it is not working.
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:28 PM
  • So you run it without an actual AppV server? Haven't (ever) tested that, but the result should be no different though. Try the package on h t t p s : / / 1drv.ms/u/s!ApkCUv0wQm8UgwDIrZPS22-W0sMp

[edit]

and note that the for me working XML is UltraEdit x64 v24_UserConfig_no_vfs.xml so you'll have to supply that. I publish to user here by the way, not to machine.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:45 PM
  • There's an issue with the VFS subsystem with this one. That might be related to Cygwin, as I see UltraEdit uses a cygwin sort.exe. I find that a bit cheap for a paid product actually :) But anyway, when I enable debug logging of the AppV client it logs some VFS errors. If I disable the VFS subsystem in the AppV package XML (tag <FileSystem Enabled="false" />) the application runs fine.

It worked. thanks for your help.
    Friday, April 7, 2017 3:27 PM
  • I'm facing one more issue, my application license file is placed in "Common AppData\IDMCOmp\UltraEdit\license\license_file" but application is not picking the license from there. Locally IDMComp folder is creating when i launch the ultraedit.
    Monday, April 10, 2017 7:15 AM
  • That's because that path is not in the VFS, only 'Common Programs\Ultraedit' is. You should add that path to the package if you want to cover that folder within AppV.

Monday, April 10, 2017 7:28 AM
  • I already placed license files under "Package\Root\VFS\Common AppData\IDMComp\Ultraedit\..". Still application is unable to pick the license.

Monday, April 10, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Does that folder exist locally? Try running it as a user that can access command prompt (or just an admin user) and run tasklist to find the PID of ultraedit. Then break into the AppV environment by running

cmd.exe /appvpid:<pid you just found>

Then from there try to go to your C:\ProgramData\IDMComp\Ultraedit directory. Is the file there? If not, remove the package completely from the system, reset the user profile, all kinds of old stuff might be interfering. I don't have a license for UltraEdit so I can't test that out for you. But I'm pretty sure it should just work.

[edit]
    By the way, I'm not sure how UltraEdit licensing works, but it's not a file based on a machine-key or something like that? Does that license file / key actually work on different systems?

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:33 AM
  • Thank you Robert Gijsen for looking into this!  I'm sure this will help others that run into this issue.
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Hi Robert,

After changing this configuration settings changes, we are facing issues with other functionalities. I can highlight one issue which is related FTP account in UltraEdit. When we are trying to connect to FTP account application is throwing error "unable to initialize FTP component" and it is showing "wodFtpDLX64.dll" is not registered. It may be because we have changed the <FileSystemEnabled="false">. Is there any fix to register all .DLL which are placed under installa directory. May i know what is challenges we will face if we change the tag "<FileSystemEnabled="false">.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 12:38 PM
  • The VFS settings for applications in connection groups should be the same or you will run into some issues. 
    Friday, August 4, 2017 4:50 PM
  • NOT A SOLUTION - JUST A HINT TO BE INVESTIGATED FURTHER

So I am looking at v24.20 right now and initially I see sort just hang eating up CPU.  I do not see anything strange in a Procmon trace and have investigated other potential issues like AppPath for the sort.exe to no avail.

I find that I don't have to do any of the crazy stuff mentioned here, including disabling VFS or checking checkboxes, but the following seems to actually work for some reason: 

1) Publish the package and launch the app, try to sort once.  Kill the app when it hangs.

2) Unpublish and Remove the package. Add and Publish.  Now it works!

If I get a chance, I'll look into this more, but wanted to pass this info on.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "PowerShell with App-V 5 (5.1 Edition)", "The Client Book (4.x)" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:33 PM