none
MDT 2013 Inject Drivers Winpe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When botting WinPE 5 the drivers are beeing injected really slow. We are deploying Windows 200r2 and Windows 2012 R2. There is about 180 MB of drivers files to inject for different server models Hp Proliant G6, G7, IBM 3650 M4, IBM 3650.

Most of the drivers are for Windows 2008 R2 and the IBM 3650 M4, all others needs really few drivers (NIC, Storage).It's takes over 2 hours to copy all drivers on th IBM 3650 M4 and Windows 2008 R2

I know there are probably to many drivers being injected, but in my lab envierment, I had the same amount of drivers being injected and it worked just fine. No errors in the log files, it's just very slow.

Anyone has an idea or hits.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:26 PM

All replies

• Manage your drivers using the "Total Control" method and you won't have these kinds of problems

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

You're seeing one of several negative effects when injecting all drivers. Do you boot to PEx86 or x64? You might see better performance if you use a 64bit boot image on 64bit hardware.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Thursday, June 11, 2015 12:45 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 2:39 AM
  • Dan, some people use %Model%, some people use \%make%\%model%. I'm getting more and more confused each day!
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Either way is perfectly fine, it depends on how many systems you will be supporting. If you work at a place where you only deal with one manufacturer then only using %model% is fine. Of course you can still just use that if you don't mind being a little less organized.

If you support different manufacturers and like being very organized then use %make%\%model%

I like to organize by OS & architecture, make, model.

Then I set the Driver Group variable in the task sequence so only the right drivers are injected.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 3:07 PM
  • See you have Dell in your folder structure, whereas some say use Dell Inc. You also have %MakeAlias% whereas some say use %make%?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 10:50 PM
  • That's because I'm using a "ModelAlias" userexit script.

https://anothermike2.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/modelalias-user-exit-for-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-20102012/

For models that have long names or manufacturers that might sometimes use different names, I use this userexit script to rename them. I've found it handy for a few situations, so that's why I use it.

Thursday, June 11, 2015 12:45 PM