none
Newbie looking for a way to update drivers on existing systems RRS feed

• Question

• We have an environment of about 35-40 Dell desktop and laptops, typically no more than 5 of any given model.  I have always manually set up and configured the operating system, using group policies to control some settings, but have never deployed using images. 

We are currently running Windows 7 and I need to update device drivers on most of our machines and was trying to determine if I could use MDT to update the drivers.  I am planning on using it to deploy Windows 10 later this year and will include drivers at that time, but would also need to keep those drivers updated after the initial deployment.  

Everything I am seeing references updating the image with new drivers for OS deployment, not necessarily updating drivers months after the OS has been deployed.  Is this a viable use for MDT and if so, can you point me to some documentation on how to accomplish the driver update without the OS deployment.

Any help is appreciated. 

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:57 PM

All replies

• For existing systems you would want to use something like SCCM, WSUS or PDQ Deploy. MDT is not designed for what you are asking. You can also probably use group policy using scripts but that might not be viable.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:53 PM
  • We do have PDQ Deploy so I was also looking at how to make it work with that.  Thank you for the confirmation on MDT.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:40 PM