Failed to update binaries distribution point upgrade sccm 2007 to sccm 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have sccm 2007 and we have just installed sccm 2012,

so i upgraded distribution points to sccm 2012.

i can upgrade successfully most of distribution points.

but one of them couldnt upgraded.

so i check the distmgr.log file i saw an error that :

"CWmi::Connect() failed to connect to \\SrvrDistribution\root\default. Error = 0x800706BA"

i checked the following :

- i have permission (i added sccm2012 machine account to administrators group)

- there isnt any local or network firewall between sccm2012 and distribution point machine

- i can access distribution point machine by using dns. there is dns record in dns.

so i searched on internet about error 0x800706BA.

it means rpc server unavailable. but i checked it services...bits,wmi,rpc,com+ services are running.

i rebooted the server but there isnt any change.

how can i fix it ?

note : i suspect the machine name "SrvrDistribution". maybe there is a bug about length of machine name. it has 16 character. is it a problem ? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/163409

extra information : distribution point machine is windows server 2003 standart edition service pack 2.

i installed and configured iis manually. also i installed rollup for sccm 2012.

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:42 AM

All replies

• These errors even showed up for successful upgrades I've done. Does it actually stop or continue on with the upgrade?

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:38 PM
  • From the primary:

1. Start - Run

2. wbemtest

3. Connect

4. Enter the namespace as: \\SrvrDistribution\root\default

Does it connect?

• Proposed as answer by Jon_jay Monday, October 23, 2017 7:46 PM
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 3:58 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Anyone sort this out? I am experiencing the exact same issue..

Currently have 1 Primary and 1 Secondary Site with 13DP's that I have to migrate..

Question 1. Is there a way to bulk reassign distribution point? Yes i have upgraded to R2..

Question 2. I manually reassigned 1 of the DP's and received the error 'failed to update binaries'. I have however been able to connect via wbemtest. I can still see in programs that SCCM 2007 is still installed? In 2012 console, I can see it as a Distribution Point.. What the...

Thanks

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:30 PM