none
Why synchronize every 15 minutes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I understand differences between synch and recovery point according this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399286.aspx

But I dont understand why to do synch every one hour when Recovery Point is created just once per day? Only recovery point data are recoverable so why synchronization? I understand that synchronization keeps data in replica the same with source, but I cannot recover them till RP.

Thanks Jan

Jan Matejka
    Friday, May 20, 2011 11:29 AM

Answers

• There are actually two benefits.

1. As stated, if a protected server goes down, you can create a recovery point without synchronizing which gives you a Recovery Point at the time of the last synchronization.

2. It trickles the data changes across your network in smaller more frequent intervals.  Instead of asking it to transfer all of the days changes at once at the Recovery point time.

• Marked as answer by Jan Matejka Friday, June 17, 2011 11:47 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Jan,

When you synchronize, the changes to the data on the protected server are copied to a replica on the DPM server. You synchronize the data on the protected serverto keep it consistent with the data on the DPM server. However, that the data that you synchronize is not immediately available for recovery. The data will become available for recovery when DPM creates a recovery point, which you will be able to see from the recovery point schedule.

You want to synchronize according to the amount of data loss you are prepared to sustain. For example, if you synchronize just once each day, DPM will restore your data to within a day of a data loss event. If you set up an hourly synchronization schedule, DPM will restore your data to within an hour of a data loss event.   

Thanks,

Marc 

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Friday, May 20, 2011 5:26 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Thanks, but when I have just one Recovery Point per day and cannot restore any individual synchronization, why to do that?

You wrote this:" If you set up an hourly synchronization schedule, DPM will restore your data to within an hour of a data loss event.".

How DPM restore data within an hour when RP is created just once at 23:00, for example?

How you get data when you lost protected computer two hours before recovery point with 15 minutes synchronization?

Thanks Jan

Jan Matejka
    • Edited by Jan Matejka Monday, May 23, 2011 5:38 AM extended
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

Let me clarify that, if you set up hourly synchronization DPM will be able to restore your data within an hour of a data lose event AFTER a recovery point has been made. So if your protected server goes down and you have synchronized in the past hour, you could then create a recovery point and recover your data that was synchronized in the most recent hourly sync job.

Thanks,

Marc

Monday, May 23, 2011 12:48 PM
  • There are actually two benefits.

1. As stated, if a protected server goes down, you can create a recovery point without synchronizing which gives you a Recovery Point at the time of the last synchronization.

2. It trickles the data changes across your network in smaller more frequent intervals.  Instead of asking it to transfer all of the days changes at once at the Recovery point time.

• Marked as answer by Jan Matejka Friday, June 17, 2011 11:47 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Because this is such an important point I will add my version of clarification to make sure I have the concept straight:  If you have one recovery point for, say, each of the last 30 days, and if your latest recovery point is for last night (4/25/2012), and if you are running synchronizations every 15 minutes -- then each of those synchronizations is updating last night's recovery point.  If your latest synchronization was at 9am today (4/26/2012) and you discover at 9:10am that a protected server has crashed then you will restore from the 4/25/2012 recovery point -- but that will not be your data as it was during the 4/25/2012 recovery point; it will be your data as it was at the 9am (4/26/2012) synchronization.

Synchronization is just DPM's way of telling the latest recovery point, "Hey, you're out of date; here are the latest changes to the data since you ran.  Update yourself with these changes."

Restated once more:  If you take recovery points every 24 hours, and synchronize every 15 minutes (or whatever period you choose) then your latest recovery point is current to within 15 minutes of when the server crashed.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:46 PM