none
MDT out of Box Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• I need to delete all of our Drivers we have in MDT because we have a lot of duplicate drivers which is really slowing down our imaging process.  With our current setup it would take at least 36 hours or more to completely regenerate the deployment share.  And I found out that on some drivers we had about 60 or 90 duplicates.  So I have new set of drivers without the duplicates I need to import. 

So I went into our MDT workbench and I highlighted all the out of box drivers right clicked that window and then went to delete and told the system to completely delete all drivers even if they are in existing folders.   That was about 5 hours ago and the system has not progressed any further.  Task Manager says the system is still running (its not giving me a not responding message) but there is no activity in Task Manager the CPU usage is at 0% and the memory usage of the MMC snap in is at 16,856K with very little to no change (activity)

So that would point to me the system has frozen even thou task manager says it is still running.  So my question is this, can I just delete all the contents of the out of box drivers in the deployment folder then update the share and then import the new drivers?  By me doing a manual delete would this have other effects elsewhere?

I am starting to think having 60 or 90 duplicate drivers for each product category would cause the system to take 1 hour or 2 to deploy a system or 36 hours to update the deployment share, what do you think?  One change I did was adjust the scratch space from 32MB to 128MB.  But this problem has been happing long before I changed the scratch space.

System is a Quad Core i5 2.53, 4GB of RAM, 39 GB of Free on HDD.  Windows Server 2008 R1, MDT 2012  Otherwise the preformace of the system is normal and I don't see any hard drive problems in event viewer. 

Monday, March 3, 2014 7:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• I need to delete all of our Drivers we have in MDT because we have a lot of duplicate drivers which is really slowing down our imaging process.  With our current setup it would take at least 36 hours or more to completely regenerate the deployment share.  And I found out that on some drivers we had about 60 or 90 duplicates.  So I have new set of drivers without the duplicates I need to import. 

So I went into our MDT workbench and I highlighted all the out of box drivers right clicked that window and then went to delete and told the system to completely delete all drivers even if they are in existing folders.   That was about 5 hours ago and the system has not progressed any further.  Task Manager says the system is still running (its not giving me a not responding message) but there is no activity in Task Manager the CPU usage is at 0% and the memory usage of the MMC snap in is at 16,856K with very little to no change (activity)

So that would point to me the system has frozen even thou task manager says it is still running.  So my question is this, can I just delete all the contents of the out of box drivers in the deployment folder then update the share and then import the new drivers?  By me doing a manual delete would this have other effects elsewhere?

I am starting to think having 60 or 90 duplicate drivers for each product category would cause the system to take 1 hour or 2 to deploy a system or 36 hours to update the deployment share, what do you think?  One change I did was adjust the scratch space from 32MB to 128MB.  But this problem has been happing long before I changed the scratch space.

System is a Quad Core i5 2.53, 4GB of RAM, 39 GB of Free on HDD.  Windows Server 2008 R1, MDT 2012  Otherwise the preformace of the system is normal and I don't see any hard drive problems in event viewer. 

Close the MDT Workbench and relaunch. Try selecting chunks of your drivers and delecte them ver all of them at once.
    Also how are you performing your driver managment, how many support model etc?
    Monday, March 3, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I will try to delete them in chunks, and I don't have my drivers in different categories I just dumped them all at once.
    Monday, March 3, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I will try to delete them in chunks, and I don't have my drivers in different categories I just dumped them all at once.

Please make it easier on yourself, dont dump all the drivers into the Out of Box Node. See Johan site for driver management. http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/112/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management.aspx

By the way how many different models and makes are you working with? (i.e Lenovo, Dell, laptops, Desktops)

• Marked as answer by CompSol123 Monday, April 7, 2014 1:54 PM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 8:06 PM
  • We work with Dell Machines (Laptop and Desktops) OptiPlex, Precision, XPS, Latitude, Vostro, Inspirion mostly, but every now and then we get different kinds.  Are you saying I need to assign these drivers to specific model #'s? There is no telling what driver goes with what model.  Maybe I should just assign them per OS?  We pretty much use Win 7, we have about 3-4 machines running 8, and the rest (400) run 7.  What do you think? 
    Monday, March 3, 2014 8:25 PM
  • We work with Dell Machines (Laptop and Desktops) OptiPlex, Precision, XPS, Latitude, Vostro, Inspirion mostly, but every now and then we get different kinds.  Are you saying I need to assign these drivers to specific model #'s? There is no telling what driver goes with what model.  Maybe I should just assign them per OS?  We pretty much use Win 7, we have about 3-4 machines running 8, and the rest (400) run 7.  What do you think? 

I question your comment "There is no telling what driver goes with what model.". If you following the guide via the link provided above you see that Johan has outlined a very simple way of managing your drivers, which in return will "Allow you to know what driver goes with what model." I suggest using drivergroups

As far as Dell's go, simply download the enterprise cab files for each model via http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-driver-cab-files-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment.aspx.

Also if you following this method anytime you get any new model you will be able to contine to manage your drivers. If you contine to just dump all the drivers sinto the Out of Box node then YES you will NOT know what driver go with what. You can also do the ame for your WinPE drivers.

Scenario #3 – Total Control will make life alot easier.
    • Edited by Massivesystem Monday, March 3, 2014 11:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Massivesystem Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by CompSol123 Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:10 PM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 11:02 PM
  • Thanks for that, but here is another issue we are having.  So I am deleting little by little instead of all the drivers at once, I started deleting them on Monday, so when I came back on Wednesday (today) the system had only progressed about 10% and MDT had crashed.  So looks like I will have to delete about one page at a time, instead of three, but when I did delete one page of drivers at a time, it did work but it took about 30 minutes to do so.  I suspect something else is wrong, it should not be this slow you think?  I will check Event Viewer on run a Dell diagnostics on this machine to make sure no hardware is at fault.  But in the meantime do you have any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Well I don't see any kind of application error in event viewer for MDT, nor did it fail any kind of diagnostics.  Do guys have any clues as to what it may be?
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:57 PM
  • Ok so I got the system to crash seems like when I delete the drivers in chunks as suggested (4 pages) at a time, the system crashes with this error message "MMC has detected an error and will unload this snap in" error details

Description:
      Stopped working

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01: mmc.exe
      Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
      Problem Signature 03: 4a5bc808
      Problem Signature 04: Microsoft.ManagementConsole
      Problem Signature 05: 3.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 06: 4a5bda5a
      Problem Signature 07: 33d
      Problem Signature 08: b
      Problem Signature 09: N3CTRYE2KN3C34SGL4ZQYRBFTE4M13NB
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.274.10
      Locale ID: 1033

I looked up what this might mean but I cannot seem to find anything.  If I delete 3 pages worth of drivers at a time, it goes fine, but if I try 4 it crashes every time.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:15 PM
  • How about closing mdt, and going into the deployment share in windows explorer and delete all your nic drivers that way, you can reimport later or start fresh.
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 1:44 PM