none
Project Resource Assignment Usage cub re-connection error in excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hoping someone can help me out.

I've set up a resource assignment cub from Project and then used this to create a Pivot Table and chart in excel so i can better look at resource usage.

The process works well up to the point that I close excel or project.  When I next re-open and try to refesh the data, I get the error message

"We couldn't get data from the external source.  Here's the error message we got:

Internal error: the operation terminated unsuccessfully"

I'm using Project 2013 and Excel 2013. 

The Project File is a Master Project with 5 sub projects all stored on a network drive.

The cub file is stored locally on the c:drive of my computer.  (Location is added as a trusted location in excel).

Project seems to updating the cub file as I make changes and then save.  It appears that the link from project to the cub is working but excel doesn't want to relink to the cub even though nothing has been changed or moved.

When i check the data connections properties, the Enable background refresh option is selected but greyed out so i can't change it.

I've seen various solutions online but all seem to be for a project server setup with nothing found for a locally installed/run project file.

Can anyone suggest a solution??  Being able to pull the data into excel allows me much better flexibility for analysis but having to continually reconstruct the pivot table data source and reconfigure the chart is getting to be a real pain

thanks all

Ash

Sunday, June 24, 2018 1:21 AM