Phone book a'la Netmeeting RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We're in the process of implementing OCS company wide to replace our dearly departed (sometimes hated) NetMeeting server.

Is anyone aware of a "phone book" type add-on that integrates with OCS and provides point and click calling like the old Netmeeting "directory server" functionality.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:35 AM

Answers

• Gavin,

As I replied to Matt, I am well aware of the "OAB" functionality of OCS but I'm not sure why OCS does not include a phone book feature similar to Netmeeting that requires no "maintenance" on the client side other than a one time setup to connect to the the phone book.

As it stands, the Communicator address book requires constant maintenance at the client to add new distribution groups, etc.

In short, why would Microsoft not replicate a perfectly good function from Netmeeting into their next generation collaboration tool???
    • Marked as answer by jerrycole Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Jerry,
    A core feature of OCS is the Address Book Service. Each day this will generate an Address Book file that is downloaded by each of your users a la Exchange with the GAL/OAB.
    I think you can count on the fact that OCS can do everything NetMeeting could do and more.
    Matt.
    Matt Nixon | http://unifiedmatt.blogspot.com
    Friday, January 8, 2010 12:10 AM
  • Understood Matt. We use the "OAB" daily with Office Comm. My hope was that, as the user is familar with the "live feed" Netmeeting phone book, there might be a similar add-on for OCS.

As it stands we have to set up distribution groups in Exchange, keep them updated with SIP enabled users, wait for those to populate to the OAB for OCS, then add those security groups to the contact list for each OCS client (absent of running the WMI scripts). That's a lot of touching for what should be, to me, a more transparent task. Especially, since MSFT has done the "phonebook" before in NetMeeting.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Hi Jerry,
    As matt referred, OCS has the Address Book Server to do the feature. OCS server based on the AD domain, and use the account's infomation in the AD database. 
    The Address Book Server uses information provided by User Replicator to update information from the global address list.
    You can refer to bleow to learn more about the technical reference
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425335(office.13).aspx

Regards!
    gavin
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:43 AM
  • Gavin,

As I replied to Matt, I am well aware of the "OAB" functionality of OCS but I'm not sure why OCS does not include a phone book feature similar to Netmeeting that requires no "maintenance" on the client side other than a one time setup to connect to the the phone book.

As it stands, the Communicator address book requires constant maintenance at the client to add new distribution groups, etc.

In short, why would Microsoft not replicate a perfectly good function from Netmeeting into their next generation collaboration tool???
    • Marked as answer by jerrycole Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:18 PM