none
Space recovery question RRS feed

• Question

• We've run out of space for DPM and I'm just doing some emergency recovery of space until we are able to add capacity in the next week or two. Many of my protection groups are failing now because of the space issue.

I've tried to reduce retention range from 31 to 25 days for files, for example. I ran .\pruneshadowcopiesDpm2010.ps1 but jobs are still failing. Is there any other way to do some emergency space recovery?

In Disk Management I see that many of the allocated volume have free space but I'm not sure how to figure out which volume is connected which which PG. How do I find which PG is using DPM-vol_[GUID], for example?

We're using DPM 2010 with a single (now) full allocated 8.7 TB volume.

Monday, May 19, 2014 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If your goal is to gain space back into the DPM Storage pool, then your only choice is to shrink recovery point volumes. 

Please download the shrink-dispart.zip from this location: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=885774776D4F197A!181&authkey=!AJzph18Kiltxlng&ithint=file%2c.zip

It contains a DPM Powershell script that will automatically shink RP volumes that are larger than necessary.  This is an automated way of doing the same operation that the SHRINK option does in the DPM Gui.

When ran it will prompt you to choose one of the three options.  R will only report the volumes that are candidates for shrinking.  S will allow to shrink a RP volume or skip it.   A shrinks all RP volumes that is can.

R = Report, S = Shrink with confirmation, A = Automatically Shrink all possible volumes

You will need to review the application event log with the source DEFRAG to investigate any shrink failures.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 19, 2014 4:37 PM
  • Looks great. Running now.
    Monday, May 19, 2014 9:06 PM
  • It cleared out a lot of space. 7% free now. That should help.

The other question I had was how to associate a PG with the GUID in Server Manager -> Disk Management. Is there an easy way to do that? It would be good to know. There are some volumes that are showing 0% free space. I'd like to troubleshoot to find out why that particular volume hasn't grown automatically. All volumes should be set that way.

Monday, May 19, 2014 10:22 PM
  • Hi,

You can run this SQL query - the last column is called MountPointPath - and the first part of the volume GUID will be what you see in Disk management as the volume name. 

Be sure to select the DPM database name when running the query.

select server.servername,datasource.datasourcename,
    round (Volume.volumesize/1024.0/1024.0/1024.0,2) as ReplicaSize,
    round (replicavol.ReplicaUsedSize/1024.0/1024.0/1024.0,2) as ReplicaUsed,
    round (replicavol.ShadowCopyMaxSize/1024.0/1024.0/1024.0,2) as ShadowCopySize,
    round (replicavol.ShadowCopyUsedSize/1024.0/1024.0/1024.0,2) as ShadowCopyUsed,
    Volume.MountPointPath 
    from tbl_SPM_Volume Volume 
    join tbl_SPM_VolumeSet VolumeSet on VolumeSet.VolumeSetId=Volume.VolumeSetId 
    join tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica Replica on Replica.PhysicalReplicaId=VolumeSet.VolumeSetId 
    join dbo.tbl_PRM_ReplicaVolume ReplicaVol on VolumeSet.VolumeSetId=replicavol.ReplicaId 
    join tbl_IM_Datasource Datasource on Datasource.DatasourceId=Replica.DatasourceId 
    join tbl_AM_Server Server on Server.ServerId=Datasource.serverid 
    join tbl_SPM_Extent Extent on Extent.GuidName=Volume.GuidName 
    join tbl_SPM_Disk disk on disk.DiskID=Extent.DiskID 
    and Replica.Validity in (1,2,3)  
    and volume.usage in (1) 
    order by replicavol.ShadowCopyMaxSize desc,replicavol.ShadowCopyUsedSize 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:02 AM
  • That looks very helpful. I can stumble through SSMS but not sure where to put the DPM database name in the query. Our server NetBIOS name is HQDPM. The FQDN is HQDPM.ourdomain.com. The Name property in SMSS is HQDPM\MSDPM2010. The database is DPMDB.

SSMS, SQL and DPM are all on the same box. This is a standalone instance. In your query, what placeholder am I replacing and with which of these values? Thanks!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

When you open the New Query window - either select the DPMDB from the database drop down, or type USE DPMDB as the first line in the query before pasting in the above query.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:08 PM
  • Thank you! That does exactly what I needed.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:20 PM
  • Another way to achieve this (albeit one data source at a time) is to Open DPM UI on the Protection TAB and select the data source you are interested in.

In the details pane below, you will see a Replica path: field. Click on the Link beside it and drag the Destination (DPM server) column all the way to the right to reveal the vol_GUID that you are looking for.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:58 PM