Windows Deployment Server - servicing Windows 10 image RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to roll Windows Deployment Sever out in our organization, so I am relatively new to the topic.

We have created Windows 10 image and can clone systems using PXE boot. I also know basics of offline DISM servicing. 

My question as follows: how does one know what updates the particular image need? I know that there is a way to get the list of installed patches in the image, but how do I know what updates to download from the update catalog from Microsoft? 
    In other words what is the delta I need to download from MS and apply to my local image to be fully patched? 

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• With Windows 10, Microsoft introduced a simpler update system, with one comprehensive update package release each month. The all-in-one, cumulative monthly updates include all Windows fixes (security and non-security) and supersede the previous month’s updates. This approach simplifies the process of updating Windows 10.

There are actually two types of updates:

• Feature updates are released two times per year (currently in April and October). 
    • Cumulative updates are released monthly, delivering both security and non-security fixes. (This is the update you will need should you wish to use offline servicing)

The Windows as a Service article explains this further: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-overview

You may also want to take a look at MDT as the technology to drive your OS installation process: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/deploy-windows-mdt/get-started-with-the-microsoft-deployment-toolkit

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:23 PM
  • Great, thanks a lot!
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:57 PM
  • hi again Anton.
    An off topic question, sort of ....

Is there a way to service MS Office 2016 offline using DISM? 

Thanks again! 

Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:50 PM