Why do we get different "Save before exit" dialogs? RRS feed

• Question

• We have five developers with Word 2013 Professional Plus, 32-bit. When we close an unsaved document, three of us get one dialog and the other two get another.

Both dialogs ask "Want to save your changes to ...?" 

One also says "If you click 'Don't Save', a recent copy of this file will be temporarily available.  Learn more".

And the program behavior is different between the two after you click "Don't Save."  What do we have different?

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:13 PM

Answers

• This is before ever saving the file; even with a new blank document. Two of us have checked version numbers and they are identical (Office Pro Plus 2013, 15.0.4631.1000). The others should be since most of us installed from the same corporate distribution installer. There are some COM add-in differences, like OneNote, but their presence or absence doesn't correlate with the different dialogs.

We checked a default install on a virtual machine, and it makes the score 4 to 2, with most getting the one having the extra verbiage.

Our dilemma is that for those with the more common dialog, after clicking "Don't Save," the BeforeSave event still fires in our VSTO add-in (and there is no clue we can find that the user clicked "Don't"). For those with the other dialog, it doesn't fire then. It seems to me that BeforeSave should not be firing if there is no Save happening.

UPDATE: Which dialog shows toggles with the state of the "Keep the last autosaved version..." checkbox in the Save options.  Answer found.  Now about that BeforeSave thing.......?
    • Edited by JohnWhitmire Monday, September 22, 2014 2:28 PM answer found
    • Marked as answer by JohnWhitmire Monday, September 22, 2014 2:28 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hello John,

Do you save the file on the disk? Where do you save files?

I'd recommend checking the exact Word version (including the build number) and service pack level. Then I'd check the list of COM add-ins installed for Word. Is there any difference?

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:17 PM
  • This is before ever saving the file; even with a new blank document. Two of us have checked version numbers and they are identical (Office Pro Plus 2013, 15.0.4631.1000). The others should be since most of us installed from the same corporate distribution installer. There are some COM add-in differences, like OneNote, but their presence or absence doesn't correlate with the different dialogs.

We checked a default install on a virtual machine, and it makes the score 4 to 2, with most getting the one having the extra verbiage.

Our dilemma is that for those with the more common dialog, after clicking "Don't Save," the BeforeSave event still fires in our VSTO add-in (and there is no clue we can find that the user clicked "Don't"). For those with the other dialog, it doesn't fire then. It seems to me that BeforeSave should not be firing if there is no Save happening.

UPDATE: Which dialog shows toggles with the state of the "Keep the last autosaved version..." checkbox in the Save options.  Answer found.  Now about that BeforeSave thing.......?
    • Edited by JohnWhitmire Monday, September 22, 2014 2:28 PM answer found
    • Marked as answer by JohnWhitmire Monday, September 22, 2014 2:28 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 12:05 PM
  • Hi John

This isn't really a developer question and would be better placed in the IT pro forum on TechNet. I'm going to move the discussion there, but I think it's a matter of Options settings. Have you tried clicking "Learn more" to get more information?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, July 18, 2014 4:32 PM