Windows2008R2, can't load features, roles. System Update Readiness Tool hangs. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have to open this thread again.

The problem is still there.

What I tried:

1. In-place Upgrade. Failed at the end and restored to previous system.

2. Rename Pending.xml after a clean boot. Failed. No Pending.xml found.

3. Run the System Update Readiness Tool after a clean boot. Failed. The System Update Readiness Tool runs forever.

And, the following error logged in the event log:

Faulting application name: TrustedInstaller.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc4b0

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b

Exception code: 0xc00000fd

Fault offset: 0x0000000000055237

Faulting process id: 0x1794

Faulting application start time: 0x01cb0cc41070107a

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 5bd60a6e-78b7-11df-80eb-0024e87cacaf

Please help.

-Neil

-Neil
    Friday, March 11, 2011 4:53 PM

Answers

• The text blow are copied from the email between me and Spencer S., a Windows Support Professional.

The %windir%\SoftwareDistribution directory is where the Windows Update client keeps pretty much all of its information about the Windows Update/Microsoft Update/WSUS process – what update services are available, what updates are available from those services, etc. In addition, all of the updates themselves that have been downloaded from the update services are stored there temporarily.

The folder can be re-downloaded from the update service. To rebuild the folder, please refer to the following steps:

Note: Before dong these steps, we recommend that you back up the system first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a. Click Start and click Administrative Tools. Select Services.

b. Find Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and Windows Update service. Stop the two services.

Note: If any of the service is set to start Automatic, set it to Manual.

c. Restart the server.

d. Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.Old under C:\windows\.

e. Start Windows Update and BITS services.

-Neil
    -Neil
    • Marked as answer by SEED IT Monday, April 4, 2011 5:56 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on this situation, I suggest performing an in-place upgrade of the system.

Tim Quan

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:52 AM
  • Hi Tim

I tried the In-Place Upgrade but unfortunately it failed at the end and restored to previous system.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:08 PM
  • The text blow are copied from the email between me and Spencer S., a Windows Support Professional.

The %windir%\SoftwareDistribution directory is where the Windows Update client keeps pretty much all of its information about the Windows Update/Microsoft Update/WSUS process – what update services are available, what updates are available from those services, etc. In addition, all of the updates themselves that have been downloaded from the update services are stored there temporarily.

The folder can be re-downloaded from the update service. To rebuild the folder, please refer to the following steps:

Note: Before dong these steps, we recommend that you back up the system first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a. Click Start and click Administrative Tools. Select Services.

b. Find Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and Windows Update service. Stop the two services.

Note: If any of the service is set to start Automatic, set it to Manual.

c. Restart the server.

d. Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.Old under C:\windows\.

e. Start Windows Update and BITS services.

-Neil
    -Neil
    • Marked as answer by SEED IT Monday, April 4, 2011 5:56 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 5:56 PM