none
Restoring public folder database in Exchange 2003 with NT Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Some public folders were deleted using Exchange System Manager and now it turns out we need them back.  I was able to restore some of the smaller folders with PFDAVadmin but the larger folders (3-5GB) fail with some sort of conflict (409) error.  So I thought I would just restore the public folder database from our most recent NT Backup.  The restore takes about an hour and 20 minutes and completes successfully but it doesn't restore the database and I don't see the deleted public folders that I need.

Prior to the restore I right click on the public folder database-Database tab- and check on "This database can be overwritten by a restore".  Then I rename pub1.edb and pub1.stm. Next I dismount the public store database.  When preparing NT Backup I select "The Last restore set" check box.  At this point I proceed with the restore which completes successfully.  Any idea why I can't see the deleted folders?

andyh999

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:41 PM

All replies

• To add to the original post PFDAVadmin failed to restore the larger folders with error:

Unexpected error occurred. Exception: Remote server returned an error :(409) conflict.

I would be willing to attempt to restore the public folders with PFDAVadmin if anyone knows how to fix the error mentioned above.  I am still within my retention period.

andyh999

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Hi Andy,

From your error description, I would like to clarify the following thing for troubleshooting:

In some cases, anti-virus software can trigger "error (409) Conflit", please disable the AV temporarily and recover the  Public Folder again.

What's more, here is a thread for your reference.

Unable to recover deleted Mailbox from Public folder on Exchange 2007

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/724c4e71-6ac3-4b06-a139-d0fb75433883/unable-to-recover-deleted-mailbox-from-public-folder-on-exchange-2007?forum=exchangesvradminlegacy

Besides, Exchange 2003 is too old, I recommend you upgrade your server to Exchange 2010.

Hope my clarification is helpful.

Best regards,
    Amy

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:29 AM
  • I tried running PFDAVadmin with Av turned off but received the same error.  Any other suggestions in regards to PFDAVadmin?

Any suggestions as to why I can't see the restored public folder database?

By the way, we are in the process of upgrading to Exchange 2010.

andyh999

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

Have you checked the above thread I provided to recover Public Folder using MFCMAPI?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Amy

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 15, 2013 9:55 AM
  • MFCMAPI doesn't show any public folders so this didn't work for me.  Is there something I'm missing when I restore the public folder database from NT Backup? Any other ideas?

andyh999

Friday, November 22, 2013 4:00 PM
  • The public folder restore completes OK but the deleted folders don't seem to be restored.  Or at least I can't see them where they used to located at.  Is there something I'm missing when I restore the public folder database from NT Backup?

andyh999

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 4:59 PM