none
Windows 10 S and MDT compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• Anybody know if/when MDT will be compatible with Windows 10 S? It looks like MDT 8443 is incompatible with Windows 10 S (aka Windows 10 Cloud) deployments, even with the latest Win10 1709 ADK. The errors I'm getting appear to come from conflicts with the standard unattend.xml settings that MDT uses.

After some tinkering, I was able to deploy Windows 10 S to an OOBE state by removing several parameters in the Win10 S unattend.xml - specifically removing anything running a command or script. So no CMD, powershell, cscript, etc. since Windows 10 S natively can not run those commands.

My simplified unattend.xml doesn't really resolve the problem through, since I really want MDT to continue beyond OOBE.

Another option I've just tried is to deploy Windows 10 Pro, then activating Windows with a Win10 S key. This does seem to successfully change the device into a Windows 10 S machine. Maybe that is the best way to fully deploy how you want (with Win10 Pro), then transition to Win10 S with the final step.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 9:23 PM

All replies

• Thanks, I'll install the latest bits and give it a shot. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report!
    Saturday, December 30, 2017 11:12 PM
  • Hi Greg have you done some testing to deploy W10S with MDT?

I've booted W10S into Audit mode

capture it with MDT

Deploy...(all of this is working)

Upon complete deployment..I was tinking of restarting sysprep into OOBE...it is working but have some errors (dirty environment after the reboot but the OS is working juste need to delete minnt folder...)

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 4:42 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Jean-Francois. I was able to get as far as deploying to an OOBE state, with the MININT folder in there as you noted. Started with the Win10 S ISO, not a captured image as you did.

So it mostly works for getting a Win10 S image onto a device. Ideally I'd like to have MDT continue in Windows and at least run the final cleanup scripts. I still have to test the latest MDT bits to see if behaves differently.

From what I have read, the 'real world' use case of Win10 S is imaging with DISM + USB drives (or using the Win10 native reset) then plugging in your prepared 'Set-up-school-PCs' USB to do its provisioning package magic.

Friday, March 2, 2018 12:03 AM