none
SCVMM Hypervisor host rebooting/crashing due to excessive CPU utilization RRS feed

• Question

• First off, I come from a VMWare ESXi background and have little exposure to HyperV.

There is a small 2 node cluster I inherited on SCVMM 2012 R2.  On occasion one of the hypervisor nodes will flatline at 100% CPU utilization which eventually causes it to crash.  All the VM's will then migrate to node that's left standing.  With the new load in addition to th existing load the second node will then proceed to flatline at 100% CPU and crash.  On the next cycle, the VMs will all live on one hypervisor, and the ones with resources will be online, the ones without resources will be in a failed state.

In VMWare, if you over provisioned CPU's the VM performance would get sluggish but there would never be the case where VM usage would directly crash ESXi.  I realize HyperV is a different model in the sense that the Hypervisor is still running on top of Windows OS; but is there some control I can put into place that prevents above scenario?

Monday, October 7, 2019 12:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I suggest you reach out to the experts in the dedicated SCVMM forum, you'll find the forum over here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?category=virtualmachinemanager

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Monday, October 7, 2019 2:21 PM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 1:04 PM
  • Hi,

As mentioned in the above reply, you may need to discuss with experts in the SCVMM forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-us/home?category=virtualmachinemanager

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:51 AM
  • Hi,
    Just want to confirm the current situations.
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:31 AM
  • Hi,
    This is Daniel and wish you all the best!
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as ‘ Propose answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the propose answer as you wish.
    BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

Friday, October 11, 2019 8:11 AM