none
MS Project Ressource sharing RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I'm evaluating MS Project 2013 for my applications. I'm concerned because ressource sharing misfunctionned.

When I try to disconnect the link between a project and the global ressources, MSP crashes.

It wasn't the case for MS Project 2010.

Do you know this problem ?

Thanks for answers.

Pierre

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:39 AM

Answers

• Resource pools and linked master files share the same problem: they use old DDE technology and it's too easy to corrupt the files. This can also happen when different files are created with different Project versions. I would make sure your project is saved by 2013 and maybe even copy all tasks into a new, blank 2013 file. If the resource pool was created in 2010, after disconnecting your projects, delete teh pool file and create a new one with Project 2013. This should be more reliable, but always store files on local drives or servers in your building (not on WAN). Never overwrite, move or rename any of the linked files.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

• Marked as answer by pgauzan Monday, March 25, 2013 10:32 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 8:59 AM
  • Thank you Rod for your quick answer !

I'm not quite sure that all the projects have been created with MSP 2013.

Do you suggest that I recreate the file Ressources from a blank file ? it seems very fastidious but if it is necessary ...

Maybe, some projects files have been created with 2010 ... Do you think that I have to recreate all the files or only the file Ressources ?

As it will be a bit long, thank you to confirm. Do you suggest some trials with a limited number of files ?

Regards.

Pierre

Monday, March 25, 2013 9:56 AM

All replies

• Resource pools and linked master files share the same problem: they use old DDE technology and it's too easy to corrupt the files. This can also happen when different files are created with different Project versions. I would make sure your project is saved by 2013 and maybe even copy all tasks into a new, blank 2013 file. If the resource pool was created in 2010, after disconnecting your projects, delete teh pool file and create a new one with Project 2013. This should be more reliable, but always store files on local drives or servers in your building (not on WAN). Never overwrite, move or rename any of the linked files.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:59 AM
  • Thank you Rod for your quick answer !

I'm not quite sure that all the projects have been created with MSP 2013.

Do you suggest that I recreate the file Ressources from a blank file ? it seems very fastidious but if it is necessary ...

Maybe, some projects files have been created with 2010 ... Do you think that I have to recreate all the files or only the file Ressources ?

As it will be a bit long, thank you to confirm. Do you suggest some trials with a limited number of files ?

Regards.

Pierre

Monday, March 25, 2013 9:56 AM