Hybrid Use 90 Day Rule RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Does anyone know how to enforce the 90 day rule that comes with the Hybrid Usage Benefit (HUB).

For a 10 node Hyper-V farm (120 VMs) and qualifies for 10 VMs at Linux pricing due to the HUB. However, the 10 VMs are subject to a 90 day licencing restriction - they cant move hardware for 90 days in azure.

Does anyone know how this is enforced in Azure and will this have an impact on day to day operations?

Thanks

George

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:20 AM

All replies

• As per the 90-day license reassignment rule, a customer will not be able to reassign licenses from one server to another within a "server farm" as frequently as needed.

All Microsoft licenses are assigned to physical servers. So if a VM is moved to a server without an available license for a given Microsoft application, Microsoft considers the VM movement a license transfer. Once a license is transferred, it could not be reassigned to another physical host for 90 days.

Sapna G

Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. 

"Once a license is transferred, it could not be reassigned to another physical host for 90 days."

In Azure, I am assuming that VMs do not have an affinity to the underlying physical server. I believe if you restart the VM it could come back up on a different host, or if the host starts to reach maximum capacity, then the VM could be migrated to a different host that is not so utilized. To avoid this, because of the HUB rule,  I need to use Host affinity for the VM.

The HUB license applies for the duration of the Licence agreement – EA’s are typically three years commitment. So, in this case, I am committed to running HUB VMs on the same physical host in Azure for the three years? (but allowed to move hardware once every 90 days) - Is this correct?

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:11 AM
  • As per the Azure Hybrid Use Benefit, the 90-day assignment rule for Windows Server is also applicable for Hybrid Use Benefit which requires licenses to stay assigned to the same hardware for a minimum of 90 days. This rule also applies to Azure virtual machines. 

Please check the below links for more details about Azure Hybris Use Benefit:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/hybrid-use-benefit/

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/azure-for-microsoft-software/faq/

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Sapna G

Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:28 AM
  • Hi Sapna, thanks for sending the info

I looked at the links you posted, and all I could find is the paragraph you have already posted.

“The 90-day assignment rule for Windows Server is also applicable for Hybrid Use Benefit which requires licenses to stay assigned to the same hardware for a minimum of 90 days. This rule also applies to Azure virtual machines”

So to be very specific, I have two questions that I hope anyone can answer.

1. How do I make sure the VM does not move from the underlying hardware in Azure?
    2. After 90 days, can I move the VM as much as I want, or can I only move the VM once every 90 days?

Thanks a lot

George

Friday, May 26, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Please find the answers for your queries: 

1. How do I make sure the VM does not move from the underlying hardware in Azure? 

-- You will not be able to stop the VM from changing hosts in certain scenarios. Hence, Azure VMs moving host due to service healing or other platform actions doesn’t impact this.

2. After 90 days, can I move the VM as much as I want, or can I only move the VM once every 90 days? 

-- The VMs can be moved once every 90 days. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Sapna G

Thursday, June 1, 2017 5:05 PM