Add another boundary to boundary group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Community,

I am implementing SCCM 2012 R2 for my company system.

SCCM 2012 R2 and SQL 2012 both have been installed in 01 server, Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. Activated all.

This SCCM server has IP: 10.100.0.x, joined domain abc.com, domain has IP: 10.100.0.y

Now in SCCM boundary group has 02 boundaries:

-10.100.0.1 - 10.100.0.254

-abc.com

It works well, could see all devices belong to one of 02 these boundaries above, and of course could see devices belong to both boundaries.

I have some devices have IP 10.100.16.z, could ping to SCCM server and vice versa.

Then i tried to add another boundary to this boundary group, it is IP range 10.100.16.0 - 10.100.16.254. My SCCM boundary group now has 03 boundaries.

After check, i did not see device has IP 10.100.16.z on device of SCCM. However i join these devices to domain abc.com, it could seen these devices then.

Could you please give advice about this? Thank you very much.

Regards,

nghitd

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:50 AM

Answers

• Network discovery would be the way to go, but it might not find all resources.
    Why do you want to discover them at all? The client can also be installed without the computer being discovered before.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:25 AM

All replies

• Adding boundary/groups does not add devices automatically; you'd have to enable/configure a discovery method (e.g. AD system discovery) to add resources. Joing clients to the domain will add an AD computer account and they will get discovered then.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:50 AM
  • Hi Torsten,

Thank you for your comment.

I have known it is necessary to enable/configure a discovery methods, and my SCCM site have enable all (AD Forest Discovery, Group Discovery, System Discovery, User Discovery, Heartbeat Discovery, Network Discovery) before i add new IP range.

Now my issue is from SCCM device, how to get discover computers (IP range 10.100.16.z), and my company do not allow for these computers join abc.com domain. Could you please teach me?

Thank you.

Regards,

nghitd

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:12 AM
  • Network discovery would be the way to go, but it might not find all resources.
    Why do you want to discover them at all? The client can also be installed without the computer being discovered before.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:25 AM
  • I also hope that network discovery is on the way to discover them.

The reason why i need to discover them at all is easy to manage all device in my network topology, implement on SCCM console, no need to install agent manually before.

Do you think i need to add any info to Network discovery? Because now it is at default, i have enable it before i add more IP range 10.100.16.1-10.100.16.254.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:40 AM
  • If you want to push install of the client, then yes you would need to discover them. However, as Torsten stated, you don't need to discover a resource in order to make it a client. There are many ways to install the client.

If you have a working WSUS environment, you could consider the Software Update-Based Client installation method. That works great also, and no discovery is required. Or there are still others also.

And yes, you'd need to have the IP subnet added to the Network Discovery configuration in order to discover devices on that subnet (likely the easiest way, but there are other ways to discover resources with Network Discovery too - DHCP, browsing, etc.).

Wally Mead

Thursday, July 24, 2014 11:07 PM
  • Hi Wally Mead,

Thank you for your answer.

With my scenario now, i need to discover client have IP Address: 10.100.16.21, Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0, then in add Subnet of Network Discovery, it devided 02 items: Subnet and Mask.

Subnet: 0.0.0.0

Mask: 0.0.0.0

What is the exacly number i need to add on them, could you please help?

Friday, July 25, 2014 3:24 AM