none
"This application is not supported on 64-bit platforms" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I've just set up UAG and tried to publish a portal with the following applications:

- A shared folder on one of my Windows servers (Windows Server 2003 x64) using the "Local Drive Mapping" application
    - A RDC connection to an internal workstation (Windows 7 Ent x64) using the "TS Client Tunneling (XP / Vista) application

These deploy successfully and shows up in the portal. Howerver, when accessing them from my remote computer (Windows 7 x64) they are greyed out with a message saying  "This application is not supported on 64-bit platforms". Windows XP x86 shows and launches the applications just fine.

Am I publishing these services the wrong way? For surely there cannot be a compatibility issue with Windows 7 x64 in 2010??

I'm on the RTM version downloaded today from MSDN.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I'm afraid the UAG 64 bit client components do not support SSL Application Tunneling, which is required for Local Drive Mapping and TS client tunnelling. At this point, there's no info about future plans for this. You might be able to achieve the desired results by using SSTP and remote-desktop gateway publishing.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, February 1, 2010 7:16 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 7:16 PM

All replies

• According to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd920232.aspx it is very likely that you are missing the socket forwarding support on the x64 platform.
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mtjerneld Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:43 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:33 PM
  • So much for the big push for 64-bit platforms...

Can this really be true, that would render the UAG pretty useless for any company deploying 64-bit OS-versions? I'm sorry to use such a harsh word as useless, but Microsoft needs to lead the move to 64-bit environments, and that is not achieved by providing us server-side functions only available for 32-bit clients.

But I still think this can't be true, surely there must be a way? I so want to roll the UAG out to customers, but with 32-bit only tunneling, that is impossible.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Me too... I also get this.  I published a Load Balanced Terminal Server Farm and it works great until you go to a 64 bit client and then it is grayed out as you said and give the error about not supported on 64 bit.   Any solution to this?  Seems weird to me that UAG is only installable on a 64 bit Server, but 64 bit clients are not supported.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:31 AM
  • Can I get a verification that this is impossible for x64 clients before I accept MS2065's answer? And also, if that is correct, is there 64-bit tunneling support on the roadmap for the product? Or is it in fact a Windows 7 issue and not a UAG issue?
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Hi,
    I'm afraid the UAG 64 bit client components do not support SSL Application Tunneling, which is required for Local Drive Mapping and TS client tunnelling. At this point, there's no info about future plans for this. You might be able to achieve the desired results by using SSTP and remote-desktop gateway publishing.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, February 1, 2010 7:16 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 7:16 PM
  • That definitely bad news for the product and for all of us with x64 clients. Guess we'll wait for UAG 2014 then... :(
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:41 AM
  • A workaround for the RDC is to use the remote desktop (user defined) application. Works fine for 64bit clients.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:32 PM