Outlook account keeps asking for passwords RRS feed

• Question

• I have several office accounts -some handled by a school I work for and others on my own profile.

My personal outlook account went wonky today and I have tried all of the troubleshooting methods online to fix it.  I finally deleted the account from my laptop and attempted to re-install.  Needless to say, it will not install.  Glad Microsoft has decided to remove the password memory function. However, you have seriously confused my computer and I don't know how to find a fix for this one.

Credential Manager has no outlook accounts on it and I am loathe to change the registry.

Any pro's out there?

Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Jolitaab,

First of all try to login through your personal email provider webmail to make sure your account is doing fine. After this you should follow the provider's guide on how to setup the email account on Outlook.

If this doesn't solve you should a screenshot of the error you are getting so we can help you better.

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 17, 2018 3:11 PM
  • I have the same thing as of this morning, have you determined the problem yet?
    Saturday, February 17, 2018 4:29 PM
  • it's just outlook with the usual pop up box that states the server imap address and asks for user and password
    Saturday, February 17, 2018 4:45 PM
  • Hi Jolitaab,

Which version of Microsoft Outlook do you use?

>>Needless to say, it will not install.

By this, do you mean when trying to re-add the account in Outlook, it keeps prompting for password?

May I know how did you set up your personal Outlook account in your Outlook client? As an Exchange account, an POP3 account or an IMAP account? Is it possible to provide a screenshot of the specific settings here so that we can verify whether the settings are correct?

Besides, if it keeps prompting you for password, it could be caused due to several reasons. You may have a look at the follow forum article and see whether it helps:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bcd2d9c2-1a1b-4446-bf32-69fee8cdf11b/why-does-outlook-keep-prompting-for-password?forum=outlook

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:16 PM
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that I can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:48 AM
  • Try using the 32bit version instead.
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:29 AM