none
Microsoft Edge search via address bar problem (queries with a dot) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a clean installation of Windows 10.1 enterprise (English).

I try to use Microsoft Edge browser to search a query. All settings are just "default out of the box".

Most queries work ok but if I try a query with a dot then browser thinks I am entering an URL. For example I try searching "xamarin forms 2.0". This ends up with browser attempting to open an URL: "http://xamarin%20forms%202.0/" which obviously fails.

In classic Internet Explorer 11 this problem does not reproduce, only in Edge.

Any idea how to fix that?

Best regards,
    Eugene.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

in your case if you enclose the search term in double quotes it will be correctly escaped by the default search provide.

eg.

"zamarin forms 2.0" [enter] results in

https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22xamarin+forms+2.0%22

note also that the embed blanks in the search term are already converted (escaped) to + characters.

this also applies for address bar searching in any web browser that supports Open Search Descriptions (viz. MSIE, Gecko, Blink and webkit).

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Zverev Eugene Wednesday, December 9, 2015 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 11:29 PM
  • Hi

Bad try. In my case if I enclose the search term in double quotes it DOES NOT get correctly escaped by the default search provider.

eg.

"zamarin forms 2.0" [enter] results in

http://%22zamarin%20forms%202.0%22/

Which is obviously a fail.

Please keep in mind that the described problem only shows up in Microsoft Edge browser as I mentioned in original question. In Internet Explorer the problem does not reproduce.

Regards,
    Eugene.

P.S. Before providing an answer it would be nice to make a mere check, no?

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 12:12 PM
  • I haven't been able to reproduce this issue with the default Bing search provider. Are you sure that you didn't change it?

More (...), Settings, View Advanced Settings, Search in the address bar with...

Only when I set this to Google then I observe the behaviour you described.

Sunday, December 13, 2015 3:44 PM
  • P.S.  Before providing an answer it would be nice to make a mere check, no?

+1

https://googledrive.com/host/0B8BLd2qPPV7XNG44OGpEcFItdXM/hmm-we-cant-reach-this-page---before-and-after.png

Monday, December 14, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Hi

Indeed I see that the problem does not reproduce with the default Bing search provider now. Obviously something was updated as originally I reproduced the problem particularly with Bing (using fresh user account for default Microsoft Edge settings).

Nevertheless this does not solve the problem. I checked the behavior against all the other search engines I could get my hands on:
    Google, Yahoo, Yandex, YouTube, AOL, Wikipedia
    The problem steadily reproduces with any search engine other than Bing. I even tried "another" query to seem more loyal like "windows 10.1", the result is the same.

Unfair competition?

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:29 PM
  • Any idea how to fix that?

Always search with  Ctrl-e.   <eg>   (FWIW I do.)

However, this is interesting.  We would have to trace it to see what the essential difference is. Rob has already pointed out one in the way spaces are handled for the "URL" request.  The same difference would occur if Search from the Address bar would be off, even with Ctrl-e (question mark space "quick search keyword").

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, December 17, 2015 2:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi

Beginning the search query with a question mark + space (Ctrl + e) seems to work as a workaround, thanks.

Nevertheless, this is not an excuse for MS guys from "having to trace it to see what the essential difference is and issue a fix". This is what I am waiting for.

Regards,
    Eugene.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:56 PM
  • Nevertheless, this is not an excuse for MS guys from "having to trace it to see what the essential difference is and issue a fix".

Agreed.  I was just curious about a cause.  FWIW I did do a  netsh trace.  Got lucky by picking  Microsoft-Windows-WinInet for a "provider".  I don't understand it but it looks like msn.com gets involved and there were also some hosts with spartan in the name being mentioned?  Makes me wonder if I am seeing residue of my W10TP?  This machine was actually a W8.1.2 Hyper-V host for one, so if spartan is in it, it came with the Build 10240 RTM upgrade or somehow leaked out into the host from the TP.  One problem I have looking at the trace is I'm not familiar enough with NetMon.  E.g. how do you do a Find in it?   <eg>  But the real surprise is that all of that apparent activity occurs and Fiddler is oblivious of it.  Curious and curiouser.  YMMV.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, December 21, 2015 12:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Zverev Eugene Monday, December 21, 2015 3:08 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:04 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the support,

May be I am a mere user but I do not understand a third of what you say. I do understand that there are some curious details you observe tracing the process of decision making under the hood of the browser. These details cannot serve as an answer for the thread and thus I unmark your post "as answer". Your info might make the job of MS team easier but does not solve the initial problem.

Regards,
    Eugene.

Monday, December 21, 2015 3:24 PM
  • Hi

I have a clean installation of Windows 10.1 enterprise (English).

I try to use Microsoft Edge browser to search a query. All settings are just "default out of the box".

Most queries work ok but if I try a query with a dot then browser thinks I am entering an URL. For example I try searching "xamarin forms 2.0". This ends up with browser attempting to open an URL: "http://xamarin%20forms%202.0/" which obviously fails.

In classic Internet Explorer 11 this problem does not reproduce, only in Edge.

Any idea how to fix that?

Best regards,
    Eugene.

This is a bug that Edge team need to address at priority. All other browsers allow this type of search query.

Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:58 AM
  • This is a bug that Edge team need to address at priority. All other browsers allow this type of search query.

Agreed Rajat.

This is not making me think 'Oh well in that case I will use Bing, because that works'

It is making me think 'Oh well I will just stop using Edge because it doesn't work'

Time to switch to Firefox

Saturday, March 12, 2016 8:19 PM
  • I agree this is a major bug--a huge one. It feels very much like deliberate malfeasance, like trying to sabotage other search engines. Please respond appropriately with an update. This is the kind of thing that can blow up into a class action. Please, please, fix this super annoying bug.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:57 PM
  • I agree this is a major bug--a huge one. It feels very much like deliberate malfeasance, like trying to sabotage other search engines. Please respond appropriately with an update. This is the kind of thing that can blow up into a class action. Please, please, fix this super annoying bug.

Has this ever been fixed? It is now 2018, and I still am having the same problem.  Is anyone listening at MS?

Raven Weinberg

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:34 AM