mount vhdx file from Windows Server Backup 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 2012 server with a network share that other servers backup to using Windows Server Backup.  To view the files from a windows 2008 r2 backup .vhd file all I have to do is open it in windows explorer and it mounts as a drive and opens.  When I try to do the same with a 2012 backup (.vhdx) it tells me "you don't have permission to mount the file" but if I open disk management I can see the volume, and if I right click on it and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths" and add a drive letter, then I can browse it.  I get the same issue using mount-vhd in powershell.
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Adm1nMikeW,

Please try to use disk management --> action --> attach VHD (this way will  avoid  the error message).

The root cause is the attribute "nodefaultdriveletter" of the backup vhd was not set to "no".

You can try following setps :

1. in cmd prompt type diskpart

2. recognize the problematic volume you want to set via list volume

3. run command select volume "volume number"

4. run command attributes volume clear nodefaultdriveletter

then detach it and reattach the disk again .

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Elton_Ji Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:04 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elton_Ji Monday, February 17, 2014 6:27 AM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:23 PM
  •    I see this is an ancient mount vhdx thread. But for prosperity, it has been my experience that the diskpart steps were not needed. I used Disk Management to mount the vhdx and again in Disk Management used "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." to assign the letter. Once that happened, I could "Explore" the volume.

Note, this was a <gynormous-GUID-name>.vhdx file buried underneath a WindowsImageBackup folder (remote share no less).

Hope this helps future TechNetters

-Patrick

Friday, April 7, 2017 9:52 PM
  • ...another thing. Once you're done, simply "Detach VHD" to un-dis-mount it. No need to delete the volume.

okbye

Friday, April 7, 2017 9:57 PM
  •    I see this is an ancient mount vhdx thread. But for prosperity, it has been my experience 

For posterity, I'm correcting your grammar. 
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 4:10 PM