Moving SCCM 2012 Distribution Point, what happens with SMS_DP$ share RRS feed

• Question

• I need to move a SCCM 2012 distribution point which is currently located on E:\ to a D:\. Ive read several posts on how to migrate using the toolkit tools, however I haven't seen any documentation around the SMS_DP$ folder. Everything needs to be cleared off the E:\ as it will be detached from the machine.

Are there any pointer references such as registry etc which reference the SMS_DP$ share folder so it can be relocated to D:\ with the other folders?

thanks

Glen

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:27 AM

All replies

• I "think" it will be relocated but haven't tested. It should be really easy to know once you've done it.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:25 PM
  • Its a production system do don't really want to be in a position where the content library gets relocated but the SMS_Dp$ remains with no simple way of moving it
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:56 AM
  • Its a production system do don't really want to be in a position where the content library gets relocated but the SMS_Dp$ remains with no simple way of moving it
    This, bumping this thread because I'm in the same position, surely there is a way to move sms_dp$.  Without removing the dp role and re-adding it?
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:55 PM
  • Not sure if this will do it or not, I haven't tested but take a look at the Content Library Transfer tool is as part of Configmgr 2012 Toolkit SP1

John Marcum | Microsoft MVP - Enterprise Client Management
    My blog: System Center Admin | Twitter: @SCCM_Marcum | Linkedin: John Marcum

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 8:04 PM
  • Not sure if this will do it or not, I haven't tested but take a look at the Content Library Transfer tool is as part of Configmgr 2012 Toolkit SP1

That's what was referred to in the beginning of this thread.  Everything but the sms_dp$ folder moves using the content library transfer tool
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 2:03 AM
  • Sorry. I didn't reread the entire thread. Isn't that the folder that gets created if you select "Copy the content in this package to a package share on the distribution points"? I never check that box and don't understand why anyone would. If so I can see why that doesn't move as it's not technically part of the content library. Maybe you could uncheck the box and see if a package is removed from that share. I've never messed around with this so I'm just guessing.

Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:32 PM
  • Sorry. I didn't reread the entire thread. Isn't that the folder that gets created if you select "Copy the content in this package to a package share on the distribution points"? I never check that box and don't understand why anyone would. If so I can see why that doesn't move as it's not technically part of the content library. Maybe you could uncheck the box and see if a package is removed from that share. I've never messed around with this so I'm just guessing.

The SMS_DP$share is used to host the distribution point log files, the files used to validate content, prestage content and is also to store a temporary copy of the package before it is integrated into the Content Library.

Monday, July 7, 2014 1:52 PM
  • Ah yea, I see it now. I was looking on my primary site. I see this on a DP. Don't know how to move it though. Sorry.

Monday, July 7, 2014 2:29 PM