locked
Error Code 80244019 after installing KB3159706 RRS feed

  • Question

  • After installing KB3159706 and http activation as well as the web.config modifications Windows 10 and Server 2012 R2 clients are updating again.   

    But now, all the Windows 2008 R2 servers are now failing with Error Code 80244019 .   

    I have tried removing SoftwareDistribution but they still fail.  Where can I go from here to resolve?

    Monday, May 9, 2016 8:55 PM

Answers

  • In checking the update logs I found errors downloading the SelfUpdate files.

    I have determined that the problem came from Uninstalling KB3148812 which completely broke WSUS which forced me to completely remove the WSUS role.  As part of the removal I deleted all he files and folders associated with WSUS.  In doing so, I inadvertently removed files installed by KB2938066 and in effect removed the Win7SP1 folders and files from SelfUpdate\WSUS3.  This was the mistake.  I guess WSUS actually requires its old leftovers to remain if you plan on reinstalling.

    This article Here gave me insight to the problem.  The solution apparently is to reinstall KB2938066 but i found no way to reinstall it.

    Since I could not find a way to reinstall 2938066 I simply copied the Win7SP1 folders from an updated and working WSUS server and updates no longer fail at the self-update stage but updates were still failing with error code 80244010.   From what I read on the error its because there are just too many updates for WindowsUpdates to download in a single check.  After manually checking for updates over and over, finally updates started working again.

    Because of the broken WSUS update April 19'th I have learned way more than I ever needed to know about WSUS.  Up until KB3148812, WSUS has been completely hands-off and reliable.

    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:57 PM

All replies

  • Hi gettnmorebetter,

    Try reseting windows update component on Windows 2008R2 WSUS clients, check if it could work:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

    If it still doesn't work, check if uninstalling the KB could work, this is used to rule out if the issue is caused by the KB.

    Best Regards,

    Anne


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:10 AM
  • In checking the update logs I found errors downloading the SelfUpdate files.

    I have determined that the problem came from Uninstalling KB3148812 which completely broke WSUS which forced me to completely remove the WSUS role.  As part of the removal I deleted all he files and folders associated with WSUS.  In doing so, I inadvertently removed files installed by KB2938066 and in effect removed the Win7SP1 folders and files from SelfUpdate\WSUS3.  This was the mistake.  I guess WSUS actually requires its old leftovers to remain if you plan on reinstalling.

    This article Here gave me insight to the problem.  The solution apparently is to reinstall KB2938066 but i found no way to reinstall it.

    Since I could not find a way to reinstall 2938066 I simply copied the Win7SP1 folders from an updated and working WSUS server and updates no longer fail at the self-update stage but updates were still failing with error code 80244010.   From what I read on the error its because there are just too many updates for WindowsUpdates to download in a single check.  After manually checking for updates over and over, finally updates started working again.

    Because of the broken WSUS update April 19'th I have learned way more than I ever needed to know about WSUS.  Up until KB3148812, WSUS has been completely hands-off and reliable.

    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:57 PM
  • Thank you very much your solution solved my problem
    Friday, June 24, 2016 3:36 PM