none
Changing SIP Address space RRS feed

• Question

• The Setup

I have an existing Lync 2013 server deployment.  It's deployed in a shared SIP/Hybrid configuration with Office 365. Onprem accounts are used only for the Polycom phones, users have their own accounts in O365 for IM, Sharing, etc (separate accounts for phones and users).  The customer want's to continue to utilize the voice access thru phones, but include the conferencing numbers from an O365 supported vendor, so that users on Lync client (in O365) can conference in or users can dial in from a phone.  

The problem

The conference provider, PTG doesn't work in this hybrid setup, they require DNS be pointed only to O365, as they don't have a trust or a method for building a trust with the on-prem servers. 

The question

Since only the phones are going thru on-prem, can I assign a different SIP address to the phones, then update existing DNS to point to O365?  Essentially I would have two separate deployments, the Lync on-prem with dedicated SIP space, and Skype for Business online with dedicated SIP space.    

Other

• We did look at MS solution which worked with no changes, but they want anyone to be able to host a conference, however, they estimate usage will be low, so needed a per-minute bucket type of solution rather than per-user. 
    • They want to minimize the changes and risk to the current environment as they are evaluating services to remove the on-prem Lync servers at some point in the future (once voice solution is validated and approved).  

J. Shelby

• Edited by J. Shelby Monday, August 15, 2016 3:57 PM html in txt keeps getting inserted
    Monday, August 15, 2016 3:55 PM

Answers

• The phones accounts are different accounts than the user accounts now?  If that's the case, then yes, I think you could do this without issue.  Add a new SIP domain as a non-default domain, make sure your certificates are updated to include the new sip space, add the new DNS entries, etc. and you should be fine.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Don Deppe Monday, August 15, 2016 10:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by J. Shelby Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:36 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2016 4:12 PM