locked
How to restore Corrupted search database in Sharepoint 2007 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am stuck with one serious problem here now. I was migrating sharepoint content database and other database file using Windows Internal Database to another drive. Therefore i first shrinked the database and detached it. Migrated it to next drive and tried to reattach it. Everything else were sucessfully attached and fully functional, but search database looks like it is corrupted. I cannot see + sign so i can look into database file, i dont see any tables either.

    When tried to use search in site it gave me error saying search is not available. I checked search services, central admin search services couldnt find any problem with that either. Restarted IIS that didnt worked either.

     

    Is there any possible way to restore the search functionality, without messing up everything.

     

    Any help will be appreciated.

     

    Thank You


    Napster123
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:01 PM

Answers

  • Thank You for your answer guys. I found the solution, files were not really corrupted. I truncated the files, therefore they were compressed. I had to decompress it, that worked.

    Thank You for your help

     


    Napster123
    • Marked as answer by NAPSTER123 Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:30 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:30 PM

All replies

  • Did you move the web front end to a new server as well.  The search database usually defaults to WSS_SEARCH_nameOfTheWebFrontEndServer.  That is so that multiple servers can work on crawling content.

    It might be possible to look at those database names and trying to make some corrections there.  I doubt that will work but it might be worth a shot.  What probably will work best is to reconfigure the search.  This could mean deleting or renaming the old search database (if you want to reuse the same name).  Once configured then you need to run a full content crawl, which might take some hourse to complete.  Luckily this database is one that can be recreated by reconfiguring and recrawling.

    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Eric,

    Thank You for your reply, No i didnt move front end to new server. I using same existing server. I think i shoudl just go with your second option to reconfigure search. Can you please explain me how to execute second option to reconfigure search. I am not too familiar about content crawling either. Can you forward me to right direction.

     

    Thank You


    Napster123
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Hi napster123,

    To configure search in SharePoint, the basic steps are start the service, create an SSP, configure the Search locations, Schedule the Search Service, then build a Search Centre, here is an article about “Basic steps on Implementing ‘Search’ in SharePoint”, you can refer to it for more information:
    http://grounding.co.za/blogs/neil/archive/2008/08/20/basic-steps-on-implementing-quot-search-quot-in-sharepoint.aspx

    Configure the Office SharePoint Server Search service (Office SharePoint Server):
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262700(office.12).aspx

    Thanks,
    Qiao

    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:55 AM
    Moderator
  • Thank You for your answer guys. I found the solution, files were not really corrupted. I truncated the files, therefore they were compressed. I had to decompress it, that worked.

    Thank You for your help

     


    Napster123
    • Marked as answer by NAPSTER123 Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:30 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:30 PM