how do i force VGA while installing VISTA ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

i am having a problem with my Nvidia (blank screen and some dots).
    it had happend while my Vista installation has finished it's first phase and restarted to finish installation.

while rebooting to finish the second/third phase i lost my screen ( probably due to the Nvidia drivers kicking in)
    i have tried safe mode to disable the Nvidia driver from the Device Manager, BUT i can't do anything since safe mode cannot be used in the middle of the Vista installation.... (why ???)

i need a way to perform this (disabling Nvidia) in order to finish the process of VISTA installation.

Oh i forgot something !!
    the OS installation is on a partition on my laptop with ALL the drivers (including the Nvidia), so i cannot just NOT INSTALL the Nvidia in the first place....

any suggestions ??

have tryied also BCDedit / set VGA yes ---- didn't work
    i'm mybe trying too hard... is there a simple way i have not used ?
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Since the current operation is restoring Windows Vista from the recovery partition on the HP computer and this function is made by HP, we may not be the best source to resolve the issue. To resolve the issue more effectively, please contact HP Support directly.

For your reference, here is the contact information:

http://www.hp.com/#Support

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

I hope the issue will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, may I know the following:

1.    Is this the first time that you install Windows Vista on the computer? If not, did the issue occur before?

2.    When did the issue occur? Was it on the time the system would reboot or after rebooting? Please let me know the exact situation.

3.    Which version of Windows Vista did you install? A OEM version or a retail one?

4.    After the issue occurred, was the computer still activate? Did the hard driver light flash? Were there some response from the computer if you did some operations?

Generally, if the problem occurs in a cleanly installed system, it should be due to hardware compatibility issue.

Based on my research, I’d like to suggest the following:

1.    Check the compatibility.

The issue can be caused that some devices are incompatible with Windows Vista.

So, please check if all the devices on the computer are compatible with Vista on the following site:

Vista Hardware Compatibility Check Site

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

Please also try to upgrade your system BIOS if it is possible.

Meanwhile, please check if the devices are plugged properly and slots are clean, sometimes a poor contact or dust may cause issues on the computer.

2.    Please contact your computer’s manufacture regarding the issue.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:53 AM
  • Hi Li,

the situation accured after 18 months of use.
    now, their is a hardware problem, the NVIDIA GPUs are "not working" ( a wide spread problem with HP laptops).

what i am trying to do is : use the laptop without the Nvidia capabilities. by not installing the Nvidia drivers.
    I have tried this Using an OS i have borrowed from a friend and it works fine (without installing the NVIDIA drivers) BUT i want to use the OS i have got from HP.  ( and paid for...)

the problem is that the recovery partition, where my OS resides, includes all the drivers i have got from facory ( HP).

the situation is  as follows :
    i start recovery/ clean installation from recovery partition
    the installation works fine till the second phase, when the system reboot (thats when the drivers "kicks in") and the screen went black.

my question is  :
    IS there a way to remove/disable the drivers at this point ? and let the installation be finished ?

i know i can disable NVIDIA drivers in safe mode, BUT since i am in the middle of an installation safe mode is not an option since i get a message to finish installatin before using safe mode.
    Thus i can't use SFE mode to disable Nvidia drivers and complete the installation.

i hope i was clear this time.

any sugestions ?
    Monday, December 22, 2008 10:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Since the current operation is restoring Windows Vista from the recovery partition on the HP computer and this function is made by HP, we may not be the best source to resolve the issue. To resolve the issue more effectively, please contact HP Support directly.

For your reference, here is the contact information:

http://www.hp.com/#Support

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

I hope the issue will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:08 AM