none
DPM 2010 – W2008R2 – ID 24050 RRS feed

• Question

• We try to backup our server data with DPM2010 doing short data protection to a NAS (Monday to Friday), doing long term data protection to a Dell Power Vault 132T Library (Saturday) without success since weeks. We have created just one DataProtectionGroup therefore. The Library does contain 8 tapes which are marked as free (containing data) in DPM. Those tapes where used from another backup software before. The keep data interval is set to one week, we use two sets of backup tapes. While the backup to disk works perfect the backup to tape starting each Saturday does fail with error ID 24050.

The capacity of the tapes is more than enough to run the backup successful.

If the backup to tape starts, error ID 24050 is created for 2/3 of all servers from the beginning of the job while the backup to tapes works perfect for the last couple of servers.

Latest firmware and drivers are used for the Tape Library.

Anybody a idea what we can do to fix this problem ?

Monday, August 2, 2010 9:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Can you try this set of steps and see if this helps.

1) Do a ReScan in the Library tab present in the Management Pane of DPM UI. 

2) Modify the PGs(Protection Groups). Uncheck the Long term Tape protection and commit the PG. 

3) Modify the above PGs once again and Check/enable the Long term Tape protection . Configure your back up schedule as your archiving policy dictates. Commit the PGs. 

4) Create a few Adhoc Recovery points to Tape. (select a DS from protection View. Right click and select Create recovery point. Choose long term tape protection from the drop down combobox. click OK). See if this succeeds. 

thanks,

Parag Agrawal 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:40 AM
  • Hi Parag, thanks for your reply. I have done the recommended steps, the problem is still the same, I am getting a 24050 error again.

What I have done additional is a quick inventory of the library and started the job again. In this case the backup to tape worked successfully for the server I have selected.

Is it necessary to do a inventory before DPM can access a tape in the library and fails without ? If so is there any chance to do this automatically ?

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:14 PM
  • Hi

Try to erase your tapes before you re-use them. Since the data contained on the tapes is written from another backupsoftware there could be a case of block size error or hardware compression.

Try to erase the tapes so DPM has written the correct block-size.

If you cant erase the tapes from your console download the tape-tool from the product-group's site.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/07/18/erasing-unsupported-tapes-amp-utility-automation-sample.aspx

Best Regards Robert Hedblom Check out my DPM blog http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:33 PM
  • I will give it a try Robert and let you know if it works, thanks for the tip. The link to download the program from the blog is not working anymore so I do this with the DPM management console (delete tape).

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:36 AM
  • I will give it a try Robert and let you know if it works, thanks for the tip. The link to download the program from the blog is not working anymore so I do this with the DPM management console (delete tape).

Update: Erasing the tapes has resolved the problem.

Thanks again Robert.

Monday, August 23, 2010 10:32 AM
  • Your most welcome my friend =)
    Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:19 AM