Files appear in Explorer View but not in SharePoint UI RRS feed

• Question

• 1. I had some files in a document library that were visible in SharePoint UI and Explorer view.

2. Tried to create a links to the sub folders in the quick launch area.

3. While doing so, "something" happened and then I could not see anything in the folder in the SharePoint UI view. HOWEVER, I can see the files in the Explorer view.

Please help as folks need access to these file sin the SharePoint view.

I am using MOSS (SharePoint 2007).

Thanks.

• Edited by Raviach Friday, March 4, 2011 7:06 PM removed signature from last profile
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:04 PM

Answers

• When I click on the Document library, I see no options. It opens a new page and shows no constituents. I can't select permissions or see any attributes of the page. I don't think I can save it as a template. :(

But as I mentioned I can see all folder constituents in the Explorer view. I think the AllItems file is corrupt but I can't even sinly replace it with another one as it gives an error. So I am not sure. Again, I can't see permissions page, I can't see any settings for this document library. But I do see all files and folders in Explorer.

Please if you can clearly mention my options based on the above that will be great. But I think the only way out is to create a new document library and upload all files and folders from Explorer. I was hoping for an easier recovery solution but that does not seem to be an option.

Ravi Acharya
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with you, the best way is to create a new document library and copy all files to your new document library. Or you can try to create a data view which data source is the document library, and then check if you can access the document library.

Xue-Mei Chang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Xue-Mei Chang
    Friday, March 11, 2011 6:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand you that you cannot see all the files in a folder of a document library after adding the folder as a link in Quick Launch Navigation(Site settings>Navigation>add link), but they appear in Explore view.

I did the same step above, but these files in the folder were visible both in SharePoint UI and Explore view.

Could you please provide me more information to do further research:

1.    Did the folder use unique permission?  And please confirm that the user logon the site has permission to view the files in the folder.

2.    Have you done any customization about this document library or folder?

3.    You can try to remove the link from navigation, are these files still invisible? After this, we can make sure if the issue is caused by the “add link” operation.

Let me know the result.

Xue-Mei Chang

Xue-Mei Chang
    Monday, March 7, 2011 8:27 AM
  • Okay. Not sure how well I can respond to your questions but here is what I have to say:

1. When I go to "Site Content and Structure" from Site Settings, I see this folder and all its contents.

When I try to edit the properties of this folder (or library I Document guess), I get the Error:Access Denied error. I have Full access to the site so not sure why this error woul dcome. ALso, does this answer your first point?

2. I can't think of any customizatrions that I have done. I just want to be able to troubleshoot it at this point. Especially since I can see the folders in some views and not others.

3. The loink has already been removed since it is currently non-functional.

Ravi Acharya
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

From your description,  it seems a permission issue, you can only view the folder but you cannot edit the folder. So please check the permission of the folder:  select Manage permissions from the folder>check if the folder break permission inheritance from parent and check if you have sufficient permission to edit the folder, you should have Contributor permission at least to edit an item.

I think this article can help you to manage permission: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/manage-permissions-for-a-list-library-folder-document-or-list-item-HA010021564.aspx

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Xue-Mei Chang

Xue-Mei Chang
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 1:29 AM
  • I just cannot get to the Manage Permissions page:(. I think what is going on is that this particular Document Library is corrupt (I can view almost any other Document Library on my site). Is there a way of fixing a corrupt Document library? Here is what seems to be a similar problem:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/30130984/corrupt-document-library.aspx

There does not seem to be an answer in the link above. So wondering if you can help. Basically I want to re recover a corrupt document library?

Thanks!

Ravi Acharya
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Hi,

You said you cannot access the Manage Permission page, what is the error message when you access the page?

Please try to save the document library as a template(include content), and then create a new document library using this template. After this, check if the issue persists in the new document library.

Let me know the result.

Xue-Mei Chang

Xue-Mei Chang
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:26 AM
  • When I click on the Document library, I see no options. It opens a new page and shows no constituents. I can't select permissions or see any attributes of the page. I don't think I can save it as a template. :(

But as I mentioned I can see all folder constituents in the Explorer view. I think the AllItems file is corrupt but I can't even sinly replace it with another one as it gives an error. So I am not sure. Again, I can't see permissions page, I can't see any settings for this document library. But I do see all files and folders in Explorer.

Please if you can clearly mention my options based on the above that will be great. But I think the only way out is to create a new document library and upload all files and folders from Explorer. I was hoping for an easier recovery solution but that does not seem to be an option.

Ravi Acharya
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with you, the best way is to create a new document library and copy all files to your new document library. Or you can try to create a data view which data source is the document library, and then check if you can access the document library.

Xue-Mei Chang

Xue-Mei Chang
    Friday, March 11, 2011 6:42 AM