none
Dell Optiplex 390 & Windows 10 + sysprep = USB issues (no keyboard/mouse)

Question

• Hello,

I have a bunch of Optiplex 390 that have been donated to my rural public library. I have setup one with Windows 10 Professional x64 1607 fully patched & all the latest bios/drivers for the unit. Everything is working great.

I then took a pre-sysprep image & then ran sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown. That completes properly & shuts the system down. I then took a post-sysprep image and applied that to some of the other (exactly the same) Optiplex 390.

However when the system boots up on the original or any of the cloned 390 it will boot to the "select timezone" section of OOBE which is the first screen, however I then lose all keyboard/mouse functionality. No matter what usb keyboard or mouse or usb port I use none of them respond. I can reboot the machine & with the same keyboard/mouse/usbport access/navigate the bios. I have tried resetting the bios back to defaults & that did not help. Hoping someone might be able to help out with this. All the computers are USB2.0 AFAIK, no usb3, but AFAIK win10 shouldn't have issues with either?

Thanks,

Keith

• Edited by abeNdorg Monday, March 27, 2017 7:55 PM
    Monday, March 27, 2017 7:55 PM

Answers

• I was able to get this resolved. I gave up on Windows 10 x64 1607 & tried it with 1703. It worked without issue. I made sure to install the same suite of software (some versions slightly newer than when I tried building this on 1607) & it worked. I am fine deploying 1703 so that is no problem. Mouse/Keyboard worked as expected after the sysprep/clone (clonezilla) process.

http://abeNd.org

• Marked as answer by abeNdorg Monday, April 24, 2017 7:05 PM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 7:05 PM

All replies

• How did you copy the image from the master? Clonezilla, TrueImage, Ghost, hard drive duplicator?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Monday, March 27, 2017 11:19 PM
  • I was able to get this resolved. I gave up on Windows 10 x64 1607 & tried it with 1703. It worked without issue. I made sure to install the same suite of software (some versions slightly newer than when I tried building this on 1607) & it worked. I am fine deploying 1703 so that is no problem. Mouse/Keyboard worked as expected after the sysprep/clone (clonezilla) process.

http://abeNd.org

• Marked as answer by abeNdorg Monday, April 24, 2017 7:05 PM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 7:05 PM